SIX SERVICE PERSONNEL DEPLOYED TO MIDEAST
The following area service personnel have been deployed in the Middle East with U.S. military forces participating in Operation Desert Shield:
* Private First Class Michael F. Keenan, son of Leo J. and Kathleen M.
Keenan of Annapolis.
* Specialist Lawrence H. Griest, son of Lawrence H. Griest Sr. of Millersville. He is a 1985 graduate of Arundel Senior High School.
* Navy Petty Officer Second Class John E. Gustafson, son of Dennis M.
and Norma L. Gustafson of Severn. His wife, Carmen, is the daughter of Delores Collier, also of Severn. He is a 1981 graduate of Meade High School.
* Navy Lieutenant Jeffrey H. Cunningham, a 1979 graduate of Severna Park High School. He is also a 1984 graduate of Bethany Nazarene Collage, Bethany, Okla.
* Navy Petty Officer First Class Robert E. Lantry, whose wife Karen is the daughter of Judith Crain of Laurel.
* Air Force Reserve Captain Barbara A. Werth, daughter of Agnes T. Perry of Glen Burnie. She received her master's degree in 1979 from the Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Ga.
AREA SERVICE MEN IN SINAI PENINSULA
The following area service men are participating in the multinational peacekeeping force and observers (MFO) as the primary U.S. military contingent in the Sinai:
* Army Corporal Oral L. Pendell, son of Sadie M. Pendell of Severna Park and Gordon E. Pendell of Annapolis.
* Army Specialist Brad P. Miklasz, son of Bernard P. and Betty L.
Miklasz of Odenton. He is a 1987 graduate of Arundel Senior High School.
* Army Sergeant Brian J. Littell, son of Bertha M. Littell of Glen Burnie. He is a 1981 graduate of Brooklyn Park School.
* Army First Lieutenant Robert J. Hensley, son of James A. and Erika Hensley of Mill Creek, Wash. His wife Cynthia is the daughter of James Whittle of Hanover and Karen Wegrzyn of Anchorage, Alaska.
The MFO, an independent agency responsible to the governments of Israel and Egypt, was established as a result of the 1979 Egypt-Israel peace treaty.
The mission of the unit is to operate checkpoints and observation posts, and conduct reconnaissance patrols along the Sinai Peninsula.
GARVEY GRADUATES FROM NSI PROGRAM
Navy Department of Defense employee Scott A. Garvey, son of William J.
and Janice A. Garvey of Severna Park, is a recent graduate of the Naval Science Institute Program at the Naval Education and Training Center, Newport, R.I.
The NSI offers an intensive professional training program designed to provide candidates with the necessary academic, military, and physical qualifications to enter the NROTC program during their junior year at their respective college or university.
Garvey is a 1987 graduate of Severna Park Senior High School.
INFANTRYMAN PLAUGER COMPLETES TRAINING
Army National Guard Private Troy C. Plauger has completed training at the U.S. Army Infantry School, Fort Benning, Columbus, Ga.
During the course, students received training to qualify them as light-weapons infantrymen and as indirect-fire crewmen in a rifle or mortar squad.
Instruction included weapons qualifications, tactics, patrolling, land mine warfare, field communications and combat operations.
Plauger is the son of Patricia A. Plauger of Pasadena.
He is a 1989 graduate of Northeast High School.
WHISNER GRADUATES FROM AVIATION COURSE
Navy Airwoman Kara R. K. Whisner, whose husband, Walter, is the son of Karin Baumgartner of Annapolis, has completed the Aviation Structural Mechanic Safety Equipment Course.
During the 10-week course, conducted at the Naval Air Technical Training Center, Naval Air Station Memphis, Millington, Tenn., Whisner received instructions on documentation of maintenance forms, schematic interpretation, aviation publications, fuels, oils, lubrication, corrosion control, and preservation of aircraft.
During classroom and practical application periods, she studied gaseous and liquid oxygen systems, canopy, ejection seat, and fire extinguishing systems, aircraft pressurization, air conditioning and auxiliary bleed air systems.
BISHOP IS CERTIFIED RADIOLOGIC SPECIALIST
Airwoman Meredith L. Bishop has graduated from the U.S. Air Force radiologic specialist course at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas.
During the course, students were taught to position patients and take and process X-rays for doctors and specialists. They also earned credits toward an associate degree through the Community College of the Air Force.
She is the daughter of Linda L. and Kensel A. Bishop of Severn, and a 1989 graduate of Arundel High School.
SHIPLEY COMPLETES AVIATION INSTRUCTION
Navy Airman Apprentice Robert J. Shipley, son of Delores J. Shipley of Glen Burnie, has completed the Aviation Electrician's Mate Course.
During the course, conducted at the Naval Air Technical Training Center, Naval Air Station Memphis, Millington, Tenn., Shipley received instruction required to perform scheduled maintenance on naval aircraft, including electrical and electronic instrument systems. Shipley also received instruction to prepare him for further specialized training on electrical and electronic instrument systems.
He is a 1989 graduate of Glen Burnie High School.