Figure in police beating arrestedon drug charges

November 30, 1990|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Evening Sun Staff

A southwest Baltimore man who critically injured a policeman in July 1987 and then was badly beaten by arresting officers has been arrested and charged with possession of PCP with intent to distribute.

Police said Gregory Mark Neptune, 22, of 1900 block of Wilhelm St. and his brother, Michael Elias Neptune, 24, of the 2000 block fTC of Wilhelm St. were arrested shortly before 10 p.m. yesterday in Gregory Neptune's home by Southwestern District narcotics officers. The suspects also were charged with possession of PCP.

Arrested with them was Brenda Jolly, 24, of the 1900 block of Wilhelm Street. She was charged with possession of PCP.

The 1987 beating became controversial after a television news crew took videotape of three police officers, angered at the injury to a fellow officer, beating and kicking Gregory Neptune after capturing him.

Police, who had a search and seizure warrant last night to enter the Wilhelm Street house, found PCP (phencyclidine) on a kitchen table, several plastic bags of PCP in a toilet, a jar containing PCP and parsley flakes laced with PCP inside a trash can.

Police said the brothers were held overnight in the station lockup pending a bail review hearing today.

Jolly was held in the women's detention center pending a bail hearing today.

The 1987 assaults took place July 9 and began as Officer Roy Grant tried to break up a fight between two women on South Payson Street. He was knocked down by Gregory Neptune, struck his head on a car bumper and fractured his skull.

Grant, who was hospitalized for several weeks, has since returned to duty.

Neptune was caught in a back yard on Wilkens Avenue, where he was beaten and kicked by three officers. The beating was videotaped by WBAL-TV. Neptune later was beaten in a patrol wagon and at the police station, an investigation showed, and received a broken jaw and multiple lacerations.

Three officers were charged with assault. Two were found guilty, the third acquitted.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.