Dulaney's Amanda White placed third in the Northeast Regionals of the Kinney Cross Country Championships, run over a 5-kilometer course at Van Cortlandt Park, N.Y., last weekend.
Runners from 11 states and the District of Columbia participated. The top eight boys and girls will advance to the Dec. 8 national championships in San Diego.
White, The Evening Sun Co-Runner of the Year this fall with Fallston's Jenny Howard, finished strong in 18 minutes and 18 seconds, six seconds behind the winner. That made her, according to Dulaney coach Bob Dean, the first state girl ever to qualify for the nationals.
* While the state football playoffs are winding up this weekend, the basketball season begins with the first tournament of the winter season at Cardinal Gibbons.
The Crusaders of coach Ray Mullis play host to the Babe Ruth Classic. In tomorrow's semifinals, Gilman meets Bishop Ireton (Va.) at 7 p.m. and Gibbons tests St. James (Pa.) at 9.
The consolation is set for Saturday at 7 p.m. and the championship follows at 9.
The majority of basketball teams do not start regular-season play until next Wednesday and one of the top early attractions is the James "Jabbo" Kenner High School Tip-Off Tournament, Dec. 7-8, at Georgetown University when Southern of Baltimore meets Dunbar of Washington, D.C., in one semifinal and Coolidge (D.C.) tests Dunbar of Baltimore in the other semifinal.
* Coaches and/or tournament directors holding holiday basketball and wrestling events are asked to forward first-round pairings (with times) to The Evening Sun, High School Sports Editor, 501 N. Calvert St., Baltimore 21278, or call Mike Farabaugh (332-6669). A complete listing of all holiday events will be published in High School Extra, Dec. 24.
* Pikesville needs a wrestling match for Jan. 9 or Feb. 1 (home or away). Contact Curt Boushell at 887-1257.
* Southern-AA and Hammond desire a third wrestling team for a Dec. 8 tri-match at Southern-AA. Contact Tom Albright at 301-867-7100 ext. 238.
* Reminder: Athlete of the Week nominations must be made to The Evening Sun (332-6669) between 8 a.m. and noon each Monday. All weekly winners, a parent and a coach will be invited to the 25th annual Evening Sun High School Athlete of the Week luncheon, set for June 5, 1991.
* Basketball scoring statistics may be reported, updated or corrected by calling 332-6669 before noon on Wednesdays.