Skipjacks win, 6-3, tie for first place Maltais, Taylor both get 2 goals

November 29, 1990|By James H. Jackson | James H. Jackson,Sun Staff Correspondent

HERSHEY,PA. — HERSHEY, Pa. -- Steve Maltais and Tim Taylor scored two goals each last night, leading the Baltimore Skipjacks to a 6-3 American Hockey League victory over the Hershey Bears at Hersheypark Arena.

The triumph pushed the Skipjacks into a first-place tie in the Southern Division with the Adirondack Red Wings, who defeated the Capital District Islanders, 6-4. It also ended a five-game unbeaten streak by Hershey, two victories of which came against the Skipjacks. Baltimore leads the season series, 3-2.

"Hershey is a much-improved team, and we had to play well," Skipjacks coach Rob Laird said. "We had many fine individual efforts. [Reggie] Savage scored a classy, hard-working goal. The Maltais-[John] Purves-Taylor line played extremely well [accounting for four goals]. We have a lot of scoring ability, and it showed tonight."

Savage and Thomas Sjogren both chipped in with a goal and an assist for the Skipjacks, who pulled away from the Bears with three third-period goals. Maltais had two assists, as did Purves.

Savage, describing his goal that gave Baltimore the lead for good, said: "Sjogren flipped me the puck, and I was pulled down from behind [by Dave Fenyves]. I picked myself up, got the puck along the boards and surprised the goalie [Dominic Roussel] with a wrap-around. I like to go into the corners and work hard against a defenseman. It's a challenge to go one-on-one."

Bears coach Mike Eaves said: "We needed a motivating factor, but we just didn't get one. We never got the jump on them after that first goal. They came right back with two, and we were playing catch-up the rest of the way."

Craig Fisher gave the Bears a 1-0 lead 1 minute, 22 seconds after the opening faceoff, but Sjogren and Taylor scored for the Skipjacks. Mark Freer tied the score at 2.

Savage broke the tie with a goal at 4:56 of the second period on a pass from Sjogren, and the Skipjacks never trailed again.

"We had a shaky start," the Skipjacks' Chris Felix said. "We gave up a couple of goals in the first period. We had a bad taste in our mouths after losing to Hershey in Baltimore Friday with only 13 seconds left on the clock. We missed Alfie Turcotte [whose wife gave birth to a son yesterday], but we worked hard and it paid off."

Maltais gave the Skipjacks a 4-2 lead early in the final period, and, after Hershey's Steve Scheifle cut the margin to 4-3, Taylor and Maltais applied the clinchers in the last three minutes.

NOTES: It was like a National Hockey League reunion in the press room. Among the visitors were Terry Crisp, scouting for the Calgary Flames; Bob Clarke, general manager of the Minnesota North Stars; Bill Barber, scouting for the Philadelphia Flyers; Bernie Parent, goalie coach for the Flyers; Gene Ubriaco, Skipjacks radio color commentator; Hal Hill of the New York Rangers; and Jim Craig, goalie for the U.S. team that won the Olympic gold medal in 1980. . . . The Skipjacks recalled center Harry Mews from the Hampton Roads Admirals of the East Coast Hockey League. Mews, the No. 1 draft choice of the Washington Capitals in 1988, had six goals and 11 assists in 14 games in the ECHL. . . . The Skipjacks scratched Jim Mathieson (shoulder), Rob Mendal (ribs) and Bobby Babcock (wrist), Victor Gervais (foot) and Turcotte. . . . Hershey was without Scott Sandelin and Darren Rumble, both on recall with Philadelphia; Shaun Sabol (shoulder); and Kent Hawley (leg).

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.