Rapist Who Fled Parole Convicted In Tenn. Attack

November 28, 1990|By Maria Archangelo | Maria Archangelo,Staff writer

A Carroll rapist who served only 1 years of a 15-year sentence has been convicted of attempted rape in Tennessee and may soon be returning to the county to face more charges.

Michael Wayne Rogers, formerly of Sykesville, violated probation by fleeing Carroll just nine months after he was freed from prison.

The Carroll State's Attorney's Office found Rogers in a Tennessee jail.

He may be extradited to face the charges here and could be made to serve the original 15-year sentence, Assistant State's Attorney Kathi Hill said.

Rogers was charged Sept. 21, 1984, with the rape of a 19-year-old woman.

A statement of facts read at his trial said he met the young woman July 29, 1984, at a crab feast at a friend's home.

The young woman asked a friend of Rogers' to drive her home, but Rogers decided to do the driving. He drove the victim and his friend to a secluded part of Bloom Road south of Salem Bottom Road, court documents show.

After asking the woman to get out of the car to talk to him, Rogers asked her for a kiss. When she refused, he told her to get her belongings from the car because he wouldn't drive her anywhere.

As she tried to make her way home from the secluded area, Rogers kept driving by and yelling at her. Finally, he got out of the car, threatened to beat her "so she wouldn't be recognizable" and then raped her, the records show.

Rogers' friend, who was in the car when the rape took place and was not charged, persuaded him to drive her to her grandmother's house. There, she became hysterical and told her family she had been raped, court records show.

Her family notified the state police, who took her to Carroll County General Hospital.

Rogers was convicted by Circuit Judge Luke K. Burns Jr. of second-degree rape March 13, 1985. Two months later, Burns sentenced Rogers to 15 years at the state Division of Corrections, with five years suspended.

J. Robert Johnson, then Carroll's chief public defender, filed a petition to have Rogers' sentence modified July 16, 1985.

Shortly after, Burns granted the petition and suspended 11 years of the sentence. He also agreed to move Rogers to the Carroll County Detention Center from Roxbury Correctional Institution in Hagerstown.

Burns gave several reasons for his decision, including Rogers' age (23 at the time), the fact that he had been rejected by his natural parents and his lack of education.

A few months later, Rogers was moved to the Springfield Hospital Center in Sykesville because his behavior was becoming increasingly erratic, records show.

During Rogers' stay at the hospital, Burns allowed him one-day furloughs to his aunt's home on Christmas and New Year's.

Burns suspended the balance of Rogers' sentence Jan. 20, 1986, and placed him on five years' supervised probation. Nine months later, Rogers left town and dropped all contact with his parole agent, court records show.

Details are sketchy on his latest conviction, but documents from the criminal court of Hancock County, Tennessee, say Rogers was convicted last December of the attempted rape of his stepdaughter and the use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. He was sentenced to three years in prison.

Hill believes Rogers will fight extradition and could not say when he might be returned.

Rogers' legal problems began in July 1984, but his personal problems began much earlier.

A letter he wrote Burns from jail said he was deserted by his mother when he was 2. He then lived with his grandparents for seven years until he went to live with his father and stepmother.

In the letter, he said he was "beaten with broom handles and a frying pan" by his father's wife.

When his father discovered the abuse, he sent Rogers to live in a string of foster homes.

At 16, Rogers quit school, got a job on a tobacco farm and went to live with his grandparents again.

He was in Carroll eight months before he was charged with rape.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.