Henry C. Evans, 76, a retired superintendent at the state office building in Baltimore, died Saturday of emphysema at Greater Baltimore Medical Center.
Funeral services will be at 1 p.m. tomorrow at Immanuel Episcopal Church on Glencoe Road in Glencoe.
A long-time resident of Lutherville, Mr. Evans was born in Ebbw Vale, Wales. He came to the United States with his family at the age of 8 and lived in Kingston, Pa. He received an engineering degree from Syracuse University and moved to Baltimore after World War II.
A mechanical engineer, Mr. Evans oversaw operations at the state office building at 301 W. Preston St. from its opening in 1958 until his retirement in 1976.
Earlier, he was a building engineer for the state budget bureau and traveled throughout Maryland to evaluate heating operations and maintenance at state hospitals, universities and other institutions.
He was a member of the Mount Moriah Masonic lodge in Towson.
His first wife, the former Jean Palmer, died last year.
Surviving are his second wife, the former Elizabeth Smink; two daughters, Barbara E. Seabolt of Lutherville and Judith E. Dawson of White Hall; three stepsons, Michael R. Diffenderffer of Towson, Donald S. Diffenderffer of Timonium and James T. Huggins of Fallston; a sister, Jean E. Lowers of Towson; four grandchildren; and nine step-grandchildren.
The family suggests that donations be made to the American Lung Association of Maryland, 1840 York Road, Lutherville 21093, or the Maryland School for the Blind.