Teen killed over jacket Second youth is wounded

November 26, 1990|By Robert Hilson Jr. and Bruce Reid | Robert Hilson Jr. and Bruce Reid,Evening Sun Staff

A 17-year-old was shot and killed when he refused to give up his leather Chicago Bulls jacket to a gunman last night, city police said.

In the East Baltimore incident, the gunman shot and wounded a 15-year-old friend of the victim, police said. The assailant also was shot during a struggle over the gun with the wounded youth, police said. An arrest in the shooting has been made, but the suspect had not been charged earlier today.

The police found Charles Feaster, of the 2600 block of E. Jefferson St., in an alley behind the 900 block of N. Washington St. shortly before 6:30 p.m. yesterday. Feaster, who was studying accounting at Mergenthaler Vocational-Technical Senior High School, had been shot at least twice and was declared dead at the scene.

The police also found the companion, James I. Holley, 15, of the 600 block of Park Ave., near Feaster's body. He had been shot in the leg. He was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he was treated for a graze wound and released.

Homicide detective Robert McAllister said a man with a pistol forced the teen-agers into the alley where he demanded Feaster's jewelry and his jacket, worth about $250.

McAllister said Feaster surrendered his jewelry but balked at giving up the jacket. The gunman then shot and killed the youth, McAllister said. The gunman turned to the other youth and shot him in the leg. The youth wrestled the man for the gun, which went off. The bullet struck the man in the wrist, McAllister said. The gunman fled.

Residents heard the shots and called the police.

A short time later, a man turned up at Union Memorial Hospital seeking treatment for an arm wound. The man, Billy Wiggins, 27, of the 1400 block of Holbrook St., was being held today under police guard.

Investigators said a city police officer saw a man fitting Wiggins' description running from the scene of the shooting. But, when Wiggins went to Union Memorial for treatment, he said he had been the victim of an attempted robbery at 22nd and Barclay streets in north Baltimore.

Friends and relatives of Feaster described the youth as one who kept out of trouble and was a good student.

"He was smart," said Charles Smith, 18, a former classmate at Mervo. "I can't believe that someone shot him over a jacket," he said.

Feaster lived with his grandmother, Leavonia Edwards, who today spoke in plain terms about the shooting. "When you're out in the street, you never know what's going to happen," she said. "It's not safe anywhere."

Edwards, whose husband died of a stroke two weeks ago, said her grandson was looking forward to graduating from high school and going to college.

A neighbor, who declined to give her name, said, "He was a good boy. No drugs or anything like that. He was just fun and games.

"I don't think he deserved to die," the neighbor said.

At Mervo, where Feaster attended school starting in the ninth grade, officials were deciding how to deal with the tragedy. "There were many kids who were very close to the boy," said Christolyne Buie, principal at the school.

She said a team of counselors, administrators and teachers was to meet today to discuss the shooting. "We are just beginning to make plans as to how we are going to render support," Buie said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.