Assault Fugitive Arrested Police Nab Suspect In Kidnapping Of Cop

November 23, 1990|By Peter Hermann | Peter Hermann,Staff writer

A man wanted for kidnapping and assaulting a county police officer three months ago was arrested by Prince George's County police yesterday morning at a motel in Camp Springs.

Anne Arundel police had issued a warrant charging Harold Dean Rogers, 24, of Crofton, with assault with intent to murder, armed robbery and the kidnapping of Officer Janice J. Schwartz.

Rogers also was charged by Prince George's County police with four counts of armed robbery, which police say occurred in September and November. He was being held in the Upper Marlboro jail yesterday, pending a bond hearing.

Rogers' wife, Sharon, 28, also was arrested and was turned over to Anne Arundel County police on charges of kidnapping. She was being held at the county police department's headquarters yesterday, awaiting a bond hearing Police released few details of the arrest yesterday. V. Richard Molloy, spokesman for the Anne Arundel County police, said Rogers was arrested in the 5700 block of Allentown Road. He said Prince George's County police had been searching for Rogers in connection with a series of robberies commited during the last two months.

"I guess they were getting pretty close to him in the last couple of days," Molloy said. "They were getting pretty hot on his trail."

Molloy said he did not know the circumstances which led to Rogers' arrest.

Rogers had been sought since Aug. 28 after police say he escaped from Schwartz while being driven to the Anne Arundel County Detention Center on charges of felony theft.

Police say Schwartz felt sorry for Rogers when he complained that he was sore from being handcuffed with his hands behind his back all day. She moved the cuffs to the front and allowed him to sit in the front seat of her patrol car.

Police say that while they were stopped at a traffic light on Ridgely Avenue in Annapolis, Rogers punched Schwartz, smashed her head against the car window, stole her gun and forced her to drive to Crofton, where he set her free after meeting his wife, Sharon.

The couple escaped in Schwartz's car, which, along with the gun, was recovered later.

In September, Rogers' brother, 21-year-old Michael Rogers, told a newspaper that county detectives threatened to kill him for refusing to tell them where to find his fugitive brother. He said he was thrown against a wall, forced into a car and had a gun put to his head.

Police admit that detectives talked to Michael Rogers in a store in Montgomery County and in a police car, but deny that he was threatened. The U.S. Justice Department is investigating the charges.

The day after Michael Rogers made his assertions, he and his mother, Constance Rogers, and her boyfriend, Archie Hawk, all of Crofton, appeared before a grand jury in Annapolis. Prosecutors apparently were trying to have reveal the whereabouts of Harold Rogers, but all grand jury proceedings are confidential.

Rogers is charged with three armed robberies this month -- at the New Carrollton Shell Station on Annapolis Road in New Carrollton, the Andrews Shell station in Camp Springs; and the Payless Shoe Store in Camp Springs.

He also is charged with robbing Bill's Chevron in Riverdale in September, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.