Monsignor Albert T. Stallings, founding pastor of St. Clare's Roman Catholic Church in Essex, died Sunday at the Francis Scott Key Medical Center after a long illness.
Monsignor Stallings, 82, had lived at the rectory of St. Anthony of Padua Church on Frankford Avenue since his retirement from St. Clare's in 1983.
Named pastor of the Essex parish in 1956, he oversaw construction of its present buildings and brought members of the Sisters of Mercy from Athlumney, Ireland, to staff the new school.
He was elected the first president of the Archdiocesan Priests' Senate and was the recipient of the first Cardinal Shehan Award of the SerraClub. He was given the rank of monsignor in 1982.
Born in Baltimore, he attended St. Gregory the Great School, St. Charles College and the Basselin Theological College of Catholic University in Washington.
It was during his student days that he was given the nickname Pete, which remained with him for the rest of his life.
He was ordained a priest in 1936. As a member of the Sulpician religious order, he first taught Latin and Greek at St. Edward's Seminary High School in Seattle. He returned to St. Charles College in Catonsville in 1939 to teach Latin, English and German.
In 1945, he left the Sulpicians for parish work.
Monsignor Stallings was assistant pastor of St. Luke's Church in Edgemere before leading the Essex congregation.
He was also chaplain of Maryland Law Enforcement Officers Inc.
Monsignor Stallings is survived by two brothers, Daniel J. Stallings of Pasadena and Donald G. Stallings of Baltimore; and several nieces and nephews.
Baltimore Archbishop William H. Keeler and retired Archbishop William D. Borders were among the concelebrants of a Mass of Christian burial offered yesterday at St. Clare's.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the parish.