Molotov cocktail burns Lutherville boy severely

November 22, 1990

A 14-year-old Lutherville boy was critically burned last night while playing with a Molotov cocktail that he and three friends had made several weeks ago, Baltimore County police reported.

The boy, identified by a neighbor as John Carter, was burned when he kicked over the homemade incendiary device and it exploded.

He was flown by helicopter to the burn center at Francis Scott Key Medical Center.

Police said the boys made the Molotov cocktail last month, pouring a flammable bug killer into a plastic bottle and placing a rag in the opening as a fuse.

Shortly after 7 p.m. yesterday, the boys ignited the rag fuse on the driveway of young Carter's home in the 8300 block of Tally-Ho Road.

They tried to put out the flame when they saw a car passing nearby.

Police said one youth blew on the fuse before the burn victim kicked the bottle and it exploded.

The other boys were not injured, and police said there was no plan to lodge charges.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.