An 80-year-old structure that was built in Annapolis to be a power substation and later was used as a dairy now is being turned into hotel meeting space.
The conversion of the Washington/Baltimore and Annapolis Power Substation is part of a $5 million upgrade to the Loews Annapolis Hotel at 126 West St.
When the project is completed next summer, it will provide the hotel with an additional 4,500 square feet of meeting space.
The substation was built in 1910 to provide electricity for the railroad and the entire city of Annapolis. In 1929, the Annapolis Dairy bought the building, gutted the interior and turned it into a dairy, which operated until 1951.
The building and the adjacent land was sold several times in the following years. The Annapolis Hotel was built on the property in 1986. In January, the Loews Corp. bought the hotel and the power station.
The renovations at the hotel will include upgrades to guest rooms, corridors, meeting rooms and the ballroom, said Thomas A. Negri, the general manager.
The architect for the project is Reithlingshoefer, Smith and Associates of Annapolis. The contractor is Coleman & Wood General Contractors of Rockville.
Frank Billitz, owner of the Lingerie and Gift Center stores has purchased a warehouse at 407 North Howard St. in Baltimore.
The 9,925-square-foot, three-story building will serve as a warehouse and staff training center for the Lingerie and Gift Center, according to KLNB Realtors.
Gordon Development Corp. has bought a medical office building at 8035 Harford Road in Baltimore for $835,000.
The building will continue to be occupied by several medical service providers, including the seller, Maryland Healthcorp, KLNB Realtors said.
The following are recent real estate commercial transactions:
* Total Distribution Services Inc., a transportation distribution business, has leased 3,606 square feet of space at 301 N. Charles St., according to Kenilworth Equities, Ltd.
* Pat Alexander and Michelle LaPerriere, two artists, have leased 1,200 square feet of space at 9 E. Lexington St., according to Kenilworth Equities, Ltd.
* Acadia Manufacturing Corp., which producers custom replacement window and doors, has leased 35,000 square feet of space at the Pulaski Commerce Park at Pulaski Highway and Middle River Road, according to Acadia Manufacturing Corp.
* Walter V. Connor International Inc., an executive placement service firm, has leased 2,025 square feet of space at the Latrobe Building, 2 E. Read St., according to Coldwell Banker Commercial Real Estate Services.
* All Points Transportation, Inc. has leased 347 square feet of space at Brown's Wharf, 1615 Thames St., according to Coldwell Banker Commercial Real Estate Services.
* Pizza Calzon's, a local carry-out/delivery pizza and sub shop, has opened a 1,600-square foot-store at Savoy Plaza on Liberty Road in Randallstown, according to Hicks & Rotner Assoc., Inc.
* Victor Temporary Service has leased 1,315 square feet of space in the Alex Brown Building, 102 W. Pennsylvania Ave., in Towson, according to Nottingham Properties, Inc.
* Blaser & Mericle Inc., an international freight forwarding company, has leased 890 square feet of space at 16 S. Calvert St., according to Kenilworth Equities, Ltd.
* Jean M. Richa has leased 500 square feet of space at the Lan Lea complex, 1717 York Road, in Lutherville, according to Kenilworth Equities, Ltd.
* Wilkins McNair Jr., an accountant, and William M. Hall Jr., a lawyer, have leased 2,077 square feet of space at the Keyser Building, 207 E. Redwood St., according to Kenilworth Equities, Ltd.
* King's Castle Gift Shop has leased 1,800 square feet of space in the White Marlin Mall in Ocean City, according to Erwin L. Greenberg Commercial Corp.
* MBNA American Bank, N.A., a telemarketing center for Maryland National Bank, has leased 26,400 square feet of space at 849 Fairmount Ave., according to W.C. Pinkard & Co.
* The tax filing division of Control Data Corp. has leased 7,100 square feet of space at 1726 Whitehead Road in Woodlawn, according to W. C. Pinkard & Co.
* First Collect Inc., a medical collecting and billing firm, has leased 4,900 square feet of space at 5 Shawan Road, according to W.C. Pinkard & Co.
* Tandem Computers Inc., a computer software sales company, has leased 1,900 square feet of space a the MD Credit Union Building, according to W.C. Pinkard & Co.