J. Frank Raley Sr., St. Mary's restaurateur

November 20, 1990

A Mass of Christian burial for J. Frank Raley Sr., a retired St. Mary's County restaurant owner and former county commissioner, will be offered at 11 a.m. today at St. Michael's Roman Catholic Church in Ridge.

Mr. Raley, who was 86 and lived in Scotland, died Saturday at St. Mary's Hospital in Leonardtown of a heart attack after surgery.

He retired in 1965 as owner of J. Frank's Place, which he started at the end of Prohibition. The bar, restaurant and motel complex is now operated by a grandson and is known as the South Ridge Restaurant.

Mr. Raley was born in Baltimore and spent part of his youth in Scotland.

Before starting his business, he was an inspector for the State Roads Commission. Long interested in Democratic politics, he was a county commissioner from 1946 until 1949.

In May, he had hosted his annual spring breakfast at which political figures -- including enemies who would not normally be seen at the same event -- joined friends, neighbors and relatives at his home.

His wife, the former Ruth Zimmerly, died in 1979.

Mr. Raley is survived by a son, J. Frank Raley Jr. of St. Mary's City; a daughter, Ruth Fallon of Ridge; a sister, Alice D. Raley of Scotland; nine grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.