2 arrested in Hereford slaying

November 19, 1990|By Alisa Samuels | Alisa Samuels,Evening Sun Staff

A man and his girlfriend were scheduled for bail review hearings today in District Court after each was charged with first-degree murder in connection with the shooting death of an elderly Hereford man, Baltimore County police said.

Harold Leon Webb, 75, was shot and killed Friday when he and his wife opened their rural home to two strangers who said their car had broken down, police said.

Charged by police in connection with Webb's slaying are:

* Thomas Everett Crawford, 31, an unemployed dry wall installer, of the 5100 block of Ardmore Way in Baltimore. He was also charged with the attempted murder of the victim's wife.

* Cynthia Lee Levering, a painter, of the 800 block of Brunswick Road in Essex.

They were arrested without incident as they were about to enter a store about 8 p.m. Saturday at Frankford Avenue and Belair Road in the city, police said.

LTC During bail hearings yesterday before a District Court commissioner, Crawford and Levering were ordered held without bail, police said. They were sent to the Baltimore County Detention Center in Towson pending today's bail review hearings before a district judge.

Webb, who lived in the 16000 block of York Road, died shortly after 1 a.m. Friday of multiple gunshot wounds to his side and torso, police said.

Police said they have recovered physical evidence that connected the suspects to Webb's slaying, but they declined to be specific.

E. Jay Miller, a police spokesman, said police believe that Crawford and Levering had intended to rob the Webbs. But they "didn't have time," Miller said.

Police said Webb and his wife, Joann H. Webb, 66, were awakened about 12:45 a.m. Friday by two strangers who knocked on the front door and said their vehicle had broken down.

While Harold Webb stood in the foyer talking with the couple, his wife went to get a portable telephone for the visitors to use. When she returned to demonstrate how the phone worked, the male visitor got behind her and attempted to enter the house, police said.

Joann Webb struck the man with the phone and tried to stop him from entering another room, police said. He pushed her aside and ran through the house and she gave chase, police said.

"He fired several times at Mrs. Webb as she chased him throughout the house," Miller said.

The bullets grazed her nightclothes but did not strike her, police said. While she chased the man, she heard at least three shots at the front of the house where she had left her husband, police said.

After the gunman fled out the back door, she returned to the foyer. "She came back and found her husband dead in the vestibule and the woman gone," Miller said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.