Star Touch rallies from last at Laurel

November 18, 1990|By Dale Austin | Dale Austin,Sun Staff Correspondent

LAUREL -- Eddie Gaudet has saddled another winner for the Maryland division of horses he handles for New York trainer John Parisella.

The triumph yesterday at Laurel Race Course was with Star Touch, a French-bred, 4-year-old colt owned by Ted Sabarese, whose best horses are competing at Aqueduct.

Star Touch rallied from last in the eight-horse Maryland City Handicap and won the seven-furlong race by 3 1/2 lengths as fifth choice.

The Parisella-to-Gaudet pattern has worked well in recent weeks. Gaudet won two feature races with Country Day, a colt Parisella sent to Maryland.

"I've got to send him [Country Day] back to New York," Gaudet said after Star Touch rallied to beat favored Six Speed. "But this one [Star Touch], I'd like to keep him down here for the winter. I'll beg, but I don't know if I can keep him. Ever since I got this horse a little more than a month ago, I've thought he was a good one."

Star Touch had won a sprint race on the main track here, then came back and ran second in a middle-distance race on the turf. Betting on the $54,800 Maryland City established the speedy Six Speed as favorite, and he took off in front, looking every bit as good as a $2.60-1 shot should.

But Star Touch turned in a sensational move. He barely got to the lead by the eighth pole, then moved away from Six Speed in the final furlong.

At the finish line in 1:23 3/5, Star Touch paid $16.80 while earning first prize of $32,880.

Third came Smelly, followed by Jewelers' Choice, Jet Stream, Two Eagles, Rockabye Joshua and Fire Plug.

It was the third winning ride of the day for Mike Luzzi, who leads all Laurel riders with 47 winners. The idled Edgar Prado is second with 42.

* Harold Youngsma, former jockey and trainer, died early yesterday morning at age 62.

Youngsma, who had a lengthy battle with cancer, worked for trainer Jim Simpson as assistant trainer and exercise rider for about 25 years, but he dropped out of racing about seven years ago because of illness.

"He was a fine fellow," Simpson said yesterday, "and was an enjoyable person to be around. He worked at a restaurant in Laurel and kept on working there until last week.

"Harold left instructions that he be cremated and that there be no funeral or memorial service," Simpson said.

* Altastar, a maiden 2-year-old gelding owned by Fourbros Stable, suffered a broken cannon bone during the fifth race yesterday and was taken away from the track in hope that he could be saved. But he was destroyed, by lethal injection, after X-rays revealed further complications and additional broken bones.

* Trainer Bobby Camac has moved to Maryland with about 20 horses and plans to campaign almost exclusively here after racing at Philadelphia Park and at New Jersey tracks for more than two decades.

"There are more opportunities here," Camac said, before saddling Fire Plug to finish last in the Maryland City Handicap.

"The purses are good here. The problem up there is that the races for the good horses don't fill. You sit there with a barn full of good horses and can't run them."

Camac said he had been encouraged to invade Maryland for the past two years by Larry Abbundi, racing secretary at Laurel and Pimlico race courses, and by trainer John Lenzini Jr.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.