Around the house
* Organize closet by category (slacks, shirts, shoes) and by color. When in a hurry, you'll be able to find clothing quickly.
* To retain the shape of a freshly laundered sweater, spread flat over a child's safety gate that has been stretched across the bathtub.
* Store bridal dress and veil or other formal wear. Wrap in blue tissue paper or jeweler's tissue paper that is acid-free and will block light. Place garment in plastic bag.
* Scrub porcelain enamel tubs and sinks with a solution of hot water and dishwasher detergent. The mixture is non-abrasive and won't hurt the shiny finish.
* Clean a stained mattress with foaming upholstery shampoo. Follow directions on label. Allow mattress to dry completely before putting on sheets.
In the garden
* Prune trees. Maples, dogwoods, elms and birches won't bleed if pruned in late summer or early fall.