Time Flies For Fighters In Return Of Boxing

November 16, 1990|By Roch Eric Kubatko | Roch Eric Kubatko,Staff writer

The night began with the co-promoter holding a microphone in the center of the ring and thanking the restless crowd for being a part of boxing's return to Glen Burnie.

It ended two hours later -- much sooner than expected with a seven-bout card -- with the same gentleman being showered both with praise from departing spectators and angry words from the trainer of the last losing fighter.

Boxing was back at La Fontaine Bleu in Glen Burnie Wednesday evening, the sport's first appearance since Max Kisner's Classic Boxing Entertainment show last November. Josh Hall, who teamed with Victoria Savalinski to form Round One Productions, estimated that nearly 600 people were in attendance.

"For the first time back, that's not bad," said Hall, who resides in Point Pleasant. "We needed 530 to 540 to reach the break-even point."

As the trainer for Ohio welterweight Nick Parker, Sidney Richards also was looking for an even break. But he felt he didn't receive one from Hall or referee Terry Moore, who disqualified Parker in the fifth round of the main event against popular Victor Davis.

Parker's strategy, a disgruntled Richards claimed afterward, was to allow Davis to "punch himself out." To that end, Parker mainly served as a non-moving target, crouching against the ropes with his peek-a-boo defense to absorb blow after blow.

Having yelled at Parker more than once to "throw some punches," Moore finally stopped the fight at 2 minutes, 31 seconds of the fifth round. The bout was scheduled for eight rounds.

Parker "was working hard," Richards insisted. "Davis was tiring himself out. The strategy was working.

"How many fights did Muhammad Ali win using those same tactics?"

A lot more than Parker, whose record now stands -- though he rarely does once in the ring -- at 15-25-1.

"I figured I'd catch his head, but he wasn't throwing any punches," said Davis (22-9-1), ranked No. 6 by the International Boxing Federation in April. "He was taking good punches, but you've got to score, and he wasn't throwing anything.

"It's another win, that's all. I didn't go into the fight looking for a knockout or an easy opponent."

Davis said he is hoping to line up a fight with Colombia's Jose Bermudez, ranked No. 9 in the World Boxing Association, in late December.

Only one fight went the distance -- super-middleweight Cecil Sims (3-1) of Loch Raven won a majority decision over Tyrone Griffin, who was making his pro debut, in a four-rounder.

Two judges had Sims ahead at the end, while a third called it even.

Sims' trainer, Frank Gilbert, was disappointed in his fighter's lackluster effort and threatened to keep him out of a future La Fontaine Bleu fight "if he doesn't improve."

"He looked terrible," Gilbert said. "He had a weak jab, he didn't put any combinations together and he was windmilling instead of throwing straight punches. Four or five times the guy caught him, and he shouldn't have. (Sims) is 100 percent better than that. It was a poor showing, and I'm surprised."

Sims wasn't. His biggest battle in recent weeks was against a severe cold that limited his training.

"I went out and did the best I could," he said. "He (Griffin) was wide open for body shots, but with this cold I didn't have the strength to land many punches. And I didn't want to gas out."

Sims, who works for a local water-proofing company, still felt he deserved a unanimous decision and disagreed with one judge ruling the bout a draw.

"I was a little more active, and I was landing the cleaner shots," he said. "Each round was close, but I thought I won them all."

In other bouts, junior-middleweight Gerry Walker (Loch Raven) won by technical knockout over Ronnie Totten (D.C.) at 2:31 of the second round; light-heavyweight Sylvester Cash (Brooklyn) scored a third-round TKO over David Williams (D.C.); middleweight Andrew Council (D.C.) stopped Mike Duncan (D.C.) at 1:21 of the first round; and cruiserweight Marion Wilson (Hillcrest Heights) won by disqualification over Robert Jackson (Va.) at 2:40 of the first round.

Jackson, who went down earlier from an overhand right, was disqualified for "repeated low blows."

Another premature ending occurred in a scheduled four-round welterweight fight between Lorenzo Whitehead (D.C.) and Reginald Little (Hillcrest Heights). An unintentional head butt in the opening round, which left the 150-pound Whitehead with a cut under his eye, forced the referee to declare the bout a draw.

Hall said he would check when La Fontaine Bleu has an open date before announcing his next show.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.