Late goals lift Citadels past Jacks, 4-2

November 15, 1990|By Bob Burgess | Bob Burgess,Special to The Sun

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia -- Jaro Sevcik scored with a shot from just inside the blue line with 1 minute, 54 seconds remaining in the third period to break a 2-2 tie and power the Halifax Citadels to a 4-2 triumph over the Baltimore Skipjacks in American Hockey League action last night.

"That's two nights in a row where we've been tied and a goal like that goes in," said Baltimore goaltender Ollie Kolzig. "It kind of dipped on me like a knuckleball. I don't know what he put on that, but it was a fluke shot."

Marc Fortier added an empty-net goal with 25 seconds left.

Defenseman Mario Doyon, a two-way force all night, had the other two Halifax goals in front of 2,733.

"I had my legs, and I was skating well," said Doyon, 22, who missed the past few games with a groin injury. "I haven't played for a week and a half, and I was rested up. I was carrying the puck very well tonight."

Tyler Larter scored both goals for Baltimore, which played with just four defensemen.

bTC "I felt pretty good," said Larter, 22. "I think I skated well tonight. It's always nice to get two goals, but I'd feel a lot better if we would've won."

Halifax, which has lost just one of its past 13 games, improved to 8-6-6. Baltimore fell to 9-8-1.

Kolzig, who made 20 saves, has started the past four Skipjacks games and has yet to allow more than four goals.

"I'm happy with my overall play, but I'm 1-3," said Kolzig, a 20-year-old rookie. "I'd rather have a 7.00 goals-against average and be 3-1."

Halifax goalie Stephane Fiset made 24 saves.

Larter scored the only goal of the first period when his shot from the circle to Fiset's left deflected off a Halifax defender's skate and between Fiset's legs.

Doyon tied the score at 13:23 of the second period when he moved into the slot to whack a knuckler over Kolzig's glove.

A Skipjacks goal was disallowed at 8:04 of the third period because Jeff Greenlaw had used his left hand to bat an airborne puck into the net. Larter had taken the original shot after a fine rush.

Kolzig preserved the tie by lunging to block the open corner of the net and robbing Claude Lapointe of a goal during a third-period power play.

But then Doyon capped a rink-long rush by stepping across the blue line and putting a slap shot past Kolzig on the glove side at 11:54. Fiset drew the only assist.

"I was coming very close to the defensemen, so I said to myself, 'I'm not going to try to take it in,' " said Doyon. "I just shot the puck, and I don't know, it went in. I was surprised."

"I just misplayed it," said Kolzig. "I tried to put half my pad and half my glove on it. It just caught the bottom of my glove and turned it over, and it went in."

Larter's second of the game and seventh of the season drew the Skipjacks even again at 14:13.

But Sevcik's long drive sank the Skipjacks.

"We played a pretty hearty game," said Baltimore coach Rob Laird. "We only had four D [defensemen] all night, and a lot of travel last night, and we played last night. We didn't get in until five o'clock in the morning.

"We're a real tired hockey team."

Defenseman Mark Ferner, injured Tuesday in Cape Breton when he ran into the goalpost and suffered a concussion, will be sidelined for another week.

Baltimore will conclude its eight-game tour of the Maritime Provinces with a match against the Cape Breton Oilers tomorrow.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.