Separate shootings leave 1 dead, 2 hospitalized in city

November 14, 1990|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Evening Sun Staff

Three men were shot, one fatally, in unrelated incidents in the city last night.

In one of the shootings, a robbery suspect accidentally shot himself in the leg as he allegedly attempted to rob a grocery store in West Baltimore.

In the fatal shooting, police said a 20-year-old unidentified man was found lying in the 1500 block of Clifton Ave. shortly before 11 p.m. bleeding from at least one gunshot wound to the chest.

Homicide Detective Walter Akers said the victim was rushed to the University of Maryland Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 11:39 p.m.

The man was found in the street by Western District officers responding to a report at 10:50 p.m. of shots being fired near the intersection of Clifton and Woodbrook avenues, Akers said.

The man had a card on him with a New York City address, Akers said. Police were making efforts today to identify the victim, and were continuing their investigation. No arrests had been made.

While the neighborhood in which the man was killed is known as a heavy drug-use section of the city, there were no signs that the shooting was drug-related, the detective said.

In another shooting last night, shortly after 8:30, Sean Bowman, 19, of the 100 block of N. Bentalou St., escaped with a minor injury after two men armed with large-caliber handguns opened fire on him from several feet away as he sat on the front steps of a house in the 2100 block of Hollins St., police said.

Although several bullets were fired, only one struck Bowman, grazing him in the side of the head, Southwestern District police said.

Police said before Bowman was taken to the University of Maryland Medical Center by ambulance he was seen giving a woman standing nearby a wad of money and a beeper.

At the hospital, Bowman was treated for the gunshot wound and was listed in good condition today.

In another incident yesterday, shortly after 4 p.m., a man armed with a sawed-off shotgun walked into the Sun Lee grocery store in the 700 block of Dolphin St. and ordered employee Dennis Cunningham, 28, to give him money from the cash register.

Central District police said when Cunningham failed to respond, the gunman pulled the shotgun from under his clothing. In doing so, the weapon discharged, hitting the would-be bandit in the right thigh.

The gunman fled the store, leaving a trail of blood, police said.

Several hours later, police responding to a two-car accident at Martin Luther King Boulevard and Eutaw Street found a man seated inside one of two damaged cars bleeding from what appeared to be a gunshot wound to the upper right leg.

Marvin Caldwell, 21, of the 800 block of W. Lanvale St., who was being driven to a hospital by a friend, was taken to the University of Maryland Medical Center, where he was treated and admitted, police said.

Police said attempted armed robbery and weapon charges were expected to be placed against Caldwell prior to his release from the hospital.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.