Bobcats, Mariners Fall Short In Field Hockey One-point Losses Drop Teams From Playoffs

November 11, 1990|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,Staff writer

Bel Air and Joppatowne both lost their bids to advance to the state field hockey finals last week.

Seeded second in Class 3A, Bel Air (13-2) fell to Magruder, 2-1, in sudden-death penalty strokes Monday at Goucher College. Joppatowne (7-7), seeded fourth in Class 1A, dropped a 1-0 contest to Easton.

For Bel Air, the loss was a heart-breaker. The Bobcats had taken a 1-0 first half lead but couldn't hold on. Michele Thomas scored the goal with 11:40 left in the first half. Teri Fox assisted.

Magruder tied it up with 17:20 left in the second half. Stacy Stets shot from out on the left side of the cage into the far right corner.

The Colonels (12-2) had a chance to break the tie when they were awarded a penalty stroke with 8:52 left in the game. Bel Air goalie Beth Dail had fallen on the ball attempting a save.

Jenny Heyoh stepped up to the line, but she barely got any power on her shot. The ball slowly rolled right to Dail, who made the easy save.

Excellent defense, especially from Kristen Wagner, Ledys Valle and Amy Sullivan, kept the Bobcats in the game.

When the regulation 60 minutes ended in a tie, play continued through two 10-minute overtime periods of seven-on-seven field play.

The Bobcats had their best chance to score in the second overtime period. They got off two shots, including one with the goalie out. But that shot sailed wide to the right.

After the two extra periods, the game went into sudden-death penalty strokes.

Heyoh took the first shot and avenged her earlier miss. Bel Air coach Phyllis Hemmes sent Marji Wasson up next. Wasson had to score or the game would end.

Although Wasson managed a good shot to the weak side, Magruder goalie Becky Pellett made a terrific save.

"It's tough to end a team sport with an individual part of it," Hemmes said. "But they have to know they played well and it didn't bounce for us today. They can't be down on themselves."

In Class 1A, Joppatowne started off quickly but only managed to dominate early. Easton (15-0-1) took over late in the half as wing Jenny Sullivan scored with 2:47 left.

"We came out like wildfire, then we got scored on, and that was it," Joppatowne coach Pam Reich said. "After they scored, we couldn't come back mentally."

The Mariners outshot Easton, 4-3, but Warriors goalie Heather Mitchell saved all four shots. Joppatowne also had an edge on corners, 11-8, but couldn't convert.

With only five seniors in the starting lineup, the Mariners will return most of their players for another season.

"We did very well this year for a young group," Reich said. "They just worked very strongly together as a group. We'll be that much stronger next year."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.