Bennett expected to quit as drug chief

November 07, 1990|By New York Times

William J. Bennett plans to resign within a few days as the nation's leading anti-drug fighter, an administration official says.

The official said last night the White House would formally announce the resignation this week.

Bennett, 47, is the nation's first director of National Drug Control Policy. Aides have said he has grown visibly restless in the job in recent months, a result of less attention by the Bush administration and the press about the drug crisis.

"I think he feels that he has accomplished the key things he had to accomplish, which was to get things in the right direction," said the official, who spoke on the condition that he not be identified.

Bennett, whose job is of Cabinet rank but who is not a member of the Cabinet, is the second White House official to resign in recent days. Elizabeth H. Dole announced late last month that she was resigning as labor secretary to head the American Red Cross.

The Associated Press reported last night that threats against his security were among the reasons Bennett had decided to resign. While security has recently been tightened for Bennett, the administration official disputed suggestions that it was a concern.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.