Comets stop Mitchell, deal Blast 6-5 loss

Roentved's steal sets up go-ahead goal

November 04, 1990|By Bill Free

Kim Roentved and the Kansas City Comets stole the show from Dale Mitchell and the Baltimore Blast last night at the Baltimore Arena.

With 8 minutes, 14 seconds left in the game and the score tied at 4, Roentved stole the ball from an attacking Mitchell and passed ot to Doug Neely at the other end of the floor, leading to the go-ahead goal that carried the Comets to a 6-5 victory over the Blast before 7,360.

Mitchell had gotten past two Kansas city defenders before Roentved stepped forward to end the Mitchell show.

"Dale tried to go through five guys [actually three], including myself, and I said to myself that I couldn't let him to do it to us." said Roentved. "So I stepped in and took the ball and started a three-on-two break. Any time you let Mitchell shoot the ball, he's going to score 50 percent of the time."

Neely said he was just "hanging on the outside" when Mitchell went into his act.

"I've seen Dale do things like that so many times, it didn't surprise me." said Neely of his former teammate.

Mitchell admitted he made a mistake on the play that helped end Baltimore's two-game home winning streak.

"It was a bad spot to be dribbling through people," said Mitchell, who was traded to the Blast from Kansas City on Aug. 20 for Carl Valentine. "I should have knocked the ball off to someone else. I was trying to take someone on when I should have been passing the ball."

Mitchell, who was Baltimore's hero Tuesday night in a 10-6 victory over the Cleveland Crunch, when he scored four goals, said, "That's the way this game goes. One night you put the ball to the net, and the next night you don't."

Blast coach Kenny Cooper said: "Dale knows he tried to do too much on that play. But you don't want to take away his skills."

After Mitchell lost the ball for the go-ahead goal, the Comets made it 6-4 three minutes later on Iain Fraser's breakaway goal.

Cooper went to a sixth attacker in the final 5:16, and Baltimore (2-3) reduced the lead to 6-5 with 1:41 remaining on Mike Stankovic's goal from 35 feet off a pass from Tim Wittman.

But Kansas City (4-1) held on in the final minutes behind big blocks by Valentine and Neely.

Kansas City goalkeeper Jim Gorsek made a save with one second left of a 65-foot shot by Richard Chinapoo.

Kansas City coach Dave Clements defended Mitchell for his decision to try to take the ball through three Comets defenders.

"When you have a player like Mitchell, you give him the license to do those things." Clements said. "He's a great player."

Valentine received a loud ovation to his return to the Baltimore Arena for the first time since the trade.

Valentine responded with a 40-foot shot that tied the game at 4 with 10:56 left in the contest.

Valentine said, "It was a tough night all around for me. It was hard to be playing for another team in Baltimore. I had a great relationship with the fans here."

NOTES: The new Blast mascot, a construction worker who carries a detonator, was given a name last night -- Denny The Denonator. ... Three hundred thirty-nine fans took part in the naming of the mascot. Four fans -- Michele Horney, Tracy Leaman, Janet Bott and Tina Robinson -- submitted the winning name. Horney, of Baltimore, was determined the grand winner when her name was selected randomly from the four winners. Horeny will receive two 1990-91 season tickets. ... Gov. William Donald Schaefer rocked back a little last night when he detonated the simulated dynamite during the Blast opening ceremonies. Schaefer was the celebrity detonator.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.