Carl W. Bacharach, District Court judge

November 02, 1990|By Patrick Ercolano | Patrick Ercolano,Evening Sun Staff

Judge Carl W. Bacharach, an associate judge of the District Court of Maryland for Baltimore, died of a heart attack yesterday at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was 69.

Remembered by a colleague on the bench as "a very compassionate person who loved his fellow man and hated man's inhumanity against man," Judge Bacharach died about 6:30 a.m. yesterday during emergency heart surgery.

"He had had three heart bypass operations in the past, but I guess they just couldn't pull off the miracle a fourth time," said Judge Martin A. Kircher of the District Court for Baltimore.

Services were being held today at the Levinson funeral establishment, 6010 Reisterstown Road.

Judge Bacharach, who resided in the 6300 block of Greenspring Ave., was elected in 1950 to represent the city in the General Assembly. He served 12 years as a legislator.

In 1963, he began his career on the bench as a judge with the People's Court, which was absorbed into the District Court in 1971.

Born and raised in Baltimore, he was the son of the former Irene Winternitz and David N. Bacharach, a founder of the Bacharach-Rasin sporting goods company.

Judge Bacharach graduated from City College in 1938 and went on to the University of Maryland at College Park, where he was a member of the varsity lacrosse team. He graduated in 1941 with a degree in sociology.

After college, Judge Bacharach joined the Army and served in the European theater during World War II. On his return to civilian life, he attended the University of Maryland law school and earned his degree in 1947. He then started a legal practice with E. Thomas W. Stahl, a law school classmate.

From 1954 to 1958, Judge Bacharach served as assistant city solicitor for Baltimore.

Mr. Kircher recalled that Judge Bacharach's love for people was returned by court employees, who reportedly broke down in tears when told of the judge's death.

"There wasn't anything people here would ask of him that he wouldn't give," Mr. Kircher said. "They'd say, 'Judge Bacharach, I have this problem with my son, or daughter, or some family member. Can you help?' And he'd help the person get into a treatment program or whatever was needed to solve the problem. He would never tell anyone about his good deeds, but you'd hear about them later from the people he'd helped."

Marshall Shure, an assistant state's attorney for Baltimore, had known Judge Bacharach since 1961, when Mr. Shure first joined the bar.

"I found him to be a compassionate guy who could really get with the defendants and their families," Mr. Shure said. "He would try to calm them and help them work out their problems. He tried to get kids on the right track with their education if they had dropped out of school. He really got upset when he saw kids messing up their lives."

Irv Satren, the owner of the Galley in the Alley restaurant and delicatessen in Pikesville and a longtime friend of Judge Bacharach, served the judge at the eatery hours before his death.

"He bought a quarter-pound of white meat turkey and home fries," Mr. Satren said. "He was supposed to be on a diet, and everyone would give him hell about what he ate. But he didn't listen. He'd say, 'The food's too good.' "

Judge Bacharach, whose favorite pastimes were fishing and gardening, is survived by his wife, the former Irene Messner; a son, Barry E.M. Bacharach of Los Angeles; a daughter, Calla W. Gans of Los Angeles, and a granddaughter, Ollie T. Gans.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.