Towson student abducted, raped Victim's car returned to campus garage

November 02, 1990|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Evening Sun Staff

Baltimore County police crime lab technicians today were examining a car owned by a Towson State University coed who was raped at knifepoint yesterday after she was abducted from a campus parking garage, campus police said.

Campus police said the car apparently was returned to the garage by the victim's attacker.

Stephen Murphy, chief of Towson State's police department, said the victim's car, a 1980 Chevrolet Chevette, was found parked on the second level of the five-level campus garage at 3:30 p.m.

Some 3 1/2 hours earlier, the 20-year-old student had been abducted, driven to a wooded area off Mount Zion Road near Falls Road near Whitehouse in the northwest county and raped at knifepoint, county police said.

Murphy said that just because yesterday's attack began on campus does not mean that the rapist is a Towson State student.

"We're a small academic city with 15,000 students and no walls," said Murphy, "and whoever abducted and raped the student could be a member of the general public and not necessarily a student."

According to Murphy, the victim, a Baltimore County resident who commutes to classes, left Cook Library about noon and went to the fifth level of the nearby five-story parking garage.

Murphy said the victim opened her car and was attacked from behind by a white male in his early 20s who forced her into the car.

The attacker got behind the wheel and ordered the victim to duck down so no one could see her as they left the garage and drove off campus, Murphy said.

Some 20 miles from the campus, the attacker turned onto Mount Zion Road from Falls Road and stopped in a secluded area several yards from the paved road, Murphy said.

Murphy said the attacker then brandished a knife, ordered the victim out of the car then forced her onto the ground and raped her.

The attacker, who wore a light blue Oxford-style shirt and blue jeans, left the victim lying there and drove off in her car, apparently returning it to the parking garage, Murphy said.

Murphy said the woman went to a nearby house and reported the incident to a resident, who called county police.

The victim was taken to the rape crisis center at Greater Baltimore Medical Center, where she was treated and released, Murphy said.

Murphy said the case has been turned over to his department because the attack began on campus, but both police agencies are cooperating.

Murphy said it appeared that no one witnessed the abduction.

He said each level of the garage has an emergency telephone that is connected directly to the campus police department. "In this case," Murphy said, "the coed never had a chance to use the phone."

In the July incident, which was the first rape incident on campus in five years, a woman was assaulted in her room in a 16-story, 224-dormitory complex on Cross Campus Drive.

In that incident, which also occurred about midday, the student was pushed back into her room as she was leaving and raped. The assailant was unarmed.

Police say the assailants in the two cases are not the same.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.