The Hecht's department store in Towson is 25 percent larger and almost totally remodeled due to a $15 million face lift during the past year.
"Every light, every ceiling tile, every floor covering, even the elevators are new," store manager Steven J. Beck said. The store now has 200,000 square feet, 40,000 more than before.
The large white building, with its black panels bearing the company's name, sits just behind the new checkerboard patterned high-rise parking garage on Dulaney Valley Road, directly north of Joppa Road, in central Towson. The 9-year old Hecht's will, for the first time, be linked to the adjacent Towson Town Center mall.
Because sales were so good, Hecht's officials decided to expand the store, adding a new men's shoe department while expanding fancy lines of women's clothing and creating space to display candy, stationery and picture frames, Beck said.
Beck said workmen labored hard to get the Hecht's store ready for a charity day sale last Wednesday and to meet the scheduled completion of the work last Thursday The expansion makes the Towson Hecht's the largest of the chain's eight stores in the Baltimore metropolitan area, and smaller than only a few of its stores in Northern Virginia and Washington, Beck said.
The mall is currently undergoing a major expansion due to be completed next year and will add a Nordstrom's department store in 1992. As the Towson Town Center expansion is completed next year, Hecht's shoppers will be able to exit directly into the mall from the second or third floor of the store or to a parking lot from the first level, Beck said.
If the renovation and enlargement of the mall brings in more customers as expected, Hecht's may need to expand again in the future, Beck said. He said he expects sales to grow 20 percent within a year.
* Following are recent commercial real estate transactions:
* MIE Development Co. has bought 3.1 acres in Owings Mills for a joint venture development, according to Casey & Associates.
* Harper Robinson & Co. has leased 29,920 square feet of space from FRP Development at 810-812 Oregon Ave. in the Oregon Business Center, according to Casey & Associates.
* Elk Corp., an office roofing materials sales company, has leased 795 square feet of space at 216 Schilling Circle, Hunt Valley, according to Casey & Associates.
* Baltimore Spice has leased 46,800 square feet of space from Merritt Development Co. in theBeltway Business Community, according to Casey & Associates.
* American Red Cross has leased 7,000 square feet of space at 4120-4131 Amos Ave. in the Menlo Industrial Park, according to Casey & Associates.
* Insurance Buyers' Council Inc., an insurance analysts group, has leased 6,192 square feet of space at 9690 Deereco Road, according to Casey & Associates.
* Igloo Warehouse Co. has leased 24,000 square feet of space at 1325-1399 Western Ave., according to Casey & Associates.
* Mrs. M's, a manufacturer of alternative window coverings, has leased 21,600 square feet of space at 1424-1430 Desoto Road, according to Casey & Associates.
* Colony Food Brokerage has leased 3,360 square feet of space in the Columbia Junction in Columbia, according to Casey & Associates.
* International Apparel has leased 626 square feet of space in the Columbia Junction, Columbia, according to Casey & Associates.
* Tools & Equipment Distribution Associates, T.E.D.A., has leased 1,035 square feet of space in the Quarry Building at Rivers, according to Casey & Associates.
* Deloitte Touche, an accounting firm, has leased 1,745 square feet of space at 2 Hopkins Plaza, according to Casey & Associates.
* Israelson, Salsbury, Clements and Bekman, a local law firm, has leased 6,744 square feet of space at 300 W. Pratt St., according ot Casey & Associates.
* Country Tiles has leased 1,635 square feet of space at 801 Light St., according to Casey & Associates.
* ABS Ventures has leased 2,284 square feet of space at 10 N. Calvert St., according to Casey & Associates.
* Crawford, Slevin & Hicks, an insurance brokerage specializing in group policies, hasleased 4,142 square feet of space in the Legg Mason Center in Towson, according to Casey & Associates.
* Healthcare Corporation of America, a parent company of Carefirst, has leased 42,900 square feet of space at the Equitable Bank Center, according to W.C. Pinkard & Co.
* Winterich Neff & Associates, an insurance company, has leased 4,100 square feet of space at 7 E. Redwood St., according to W.C. Pinkard & Co.
* G.S.A., family support administration, has leased 1,700 square feet of space at 700 Security Blvd. in Catonsville, according ot W.C. Pinkard & Co.
* Buyers Engineering Co. has leased 1,400 square feet of space at the CSK Building, 7320 Parkway Drive, according to W.C. Pinkard & Co.
* Kelly Services, a temporary employment service, has leased 1,900 square feet of space at Grosvenor Century Plaza in Columbia, according to W.C. Pinkard Co.