Armenian defecting diver remains uncertain of status in U.S.

October 28, 1990|By Theresa Munoz | Theresa Munoz,Los Angeles Times

LOS ANGELES -- The FBI agent told him there would be no turning back and no guarantee of asylum, but Arsen Djavadian felt he had no choice. The Soviet diver fled the Goodwill Games in Seattle with the help of a stranger, then hid out in Hollywood with a boyhood friend from his native Armenia.

Until last weekend, when he received employment authorization, Djavadian (Ja-VAD-ee-an) was afraid to tell his story for fear that he would be sent back to the Soviet Union.

Djavadian's defection was not without cost. Since he abandoned his country on Aug. 4, his father, Boris, was fired as a government economist, and his brother, Aram, was kicked out of the university he was attending.

But the diver's defection came as no surprise to the Soviets. Djavadian, 23, was jailed twice last year for organizing and participating in demonstrations protesting the Soviet government's refusal to unite the Nagorno Karabakh district in Azerbaijan with the adjacent Soviet republic of Armenia, which borders Turkey and Iran.

The Armenian residents of Nagorno Karabakh -- 80 percent of the population -- claim that they are discriminated against in Azerbaijan.

Djavadian, who once rejected a medal, throwing it to the ground in protest of Soviet treatment of Armenians, is one of many Armenians who want independence from the Soviet Union.

"I want it, so I'm not afraid to say it," Djavadian said.

His outspokenness nearly cost him an indefinite period in jail. After three weeks of horrible treatment last October, he was bailed out by an Armenian coach who convinced police that the Soviet diving team needed him. Then the coach told Djavadian )) that if he ever joined the Armenian protest movement again, the KGB would leave him in jail to rot.

Slowly, Djavadian, the 1989 World Cup bronze medalist, concluded that freedom would require more daring than the handstand dives he performs off the 10-meter platform. He decided to leave his homeland.

The plan was to defect at the Goodwill Games, although Djavadian had no idea how he would do it.

His non-Soviet competitors offered to help, engaging St. Louis sports promoter Joe Farrell, who agreed to facilitate Djavadian's escape from the athletes' village on the University of Washington campus in Seattle.

"We had to keep communication to an absolute minimum," Farrell said. "We didn't want to be seen together. They were already suspicious that [Djavadian] would seek political asylum, and he had been warned.

"We felt his roommate was in some informing post, because he was the trainer instead of another diver."

Farrell's initial contact with Djavadian was through a European diver who served as a messenger. A secret meeting was set up for Aug. 3 for Djavadian, Farrell, an FBI agent, an Immigration and Naturalization Service representative and an interpreter of Russian. An Armenian interpreter was available by phone.

The meeting was designed to answer Djavadian's questions while allowing him the opportunity to change his mind without the Soviets finding out that he had considered defecting.

Farrell told Djavadian to put on a warm-up suit and meet him at a drugstore three blocks from the athletes' village. Farrell watched Djavadian leave the village, made sure he was not followed, then met him.

From there, they took a circuitous car ride to Farrell's hotel.

After the three-hour meeting, Farrell gave Djavadian souvenirs to carry back to the village in case he was questioned about his whereabouts.

Later that day, Djavadian told the messenger to tell Farrell that he wanted to go through with the defection. It was planned for the day before the competition. "We were leaving the next day [after the competition]," Djavadian said. "Everybody knows about my [political] thinking. They would be watching me. Many people are KGB. They know about me."

That night, Farrell and another diver took a rug that Djavadian had brought to sell from Djavadian's room. Farrell took the rug ahead of time so Djavadian would not look conspicuous carrying it out of the village.

The next morning, Djavadian walked to the drugstore with all he could stuff into a small duffel bag. He met Farrell and rode with him to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. A friend of Farrell followed by car, making sure they weren't followed by anyone else.

"I was scared," Djavadian said. "I was thinking maybe some people are going to take me and give me back. I blocked everything out of my mind. All I was thinking about was coming to Los Angeles."

Farrell took Djavadian in through a side door at the airport and hid him in a men's room until the other passengers had boarded the plane bound for Los Angeles.

"We thought there would be KGB at the airport," said Farrell, who had used his name to reserve Djavadian's ticket.

"We took a lot of precautions because the stakes were pretty high. You could look at it from the outside and say it looked too spy-like, but the FBI agent and the immigration authority told us if they took him back he would probably be incarcerated."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.