A Mass of Christian burial for Francis Mario Tarasco, who taught and translated the Italian language in Baltimore for many years, will be offered at 10 a.m. today at the Roman Catholic Church of the Nativity, 1809 Vista Lane, Timonium.
Mr. Tarasco, who was 78 and lived on Fountain Court in Timonium, died Saturday at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center after a stroke.
Born in northern Italy near the Swiss border, he studied classical languages at the University of Torino and served as an officer in the Italian army during World War II.
He came to Baltimore in 1945 and taught at the Berlitz School of Languages for about 10 years. He also taught at the Peabody Conservatory of Music, Catonsville Community College and, before he retired about four years ago, at Essex Community College.
For more than 25 years, he taught conversational Italian in Baltimore County adult education classes.
He also did translations for the United States Navy for many years, and for a short period he was a part-time proofreader for The Baltimore Sun.
A former longtime state treasurer of the Order of the Sons of Italy, he was a charter member of both the Lord Baltimore Lodge and the Towson-Dulaney Lodge. He was also active in the Circolo Culturale di Baltimore and the Italian Wine and Food Advocates.
A vegetable gardener who was fond of reading and collecting books, he was particularly interested in biographies and works on naval matters.
He is survived by his wife of 45 years, the former Elsa Impaciatore; two sons, F. Felix Tarasco of Bel Air and Alexander M. Tarasco of Finksburg; a sister, Rita Martinazzi of Italy; and three grandchildren.