Ohio State coach to miss two weeks

October 22, 1990

Ohio State football coach John Cooper will need about two weeks to recover from surgery yesterday to repair a ruptured disk in his spine, the doctor who performed the operation said.

Dr. William R. Miely said the hourlong procedure at University Hospitals in Columbus, Ohio, appeared to be successful, but said he was unsure when Cooper could return to the sidelines.

"We're taking it day to day. Usually we would tell most people to take six weeks off from work, but we're going to shoot for between 10 and 14 days," Miely said.

A two-week delay would mean Cooper's absence for consecutive Big Ten Conference home games against Minnesota on Saturday and Northwestern on Nov. 3. Offensive coordinator Jim Colletto will assume head coaching duties until Cooper returns.

* TEMPLE: Defensive-line coach Earle Mosley remained in the hospital, one day after he collapsed on the sidelines during the Owls' 31-28 triumph over Virginia Tech.

Head coach Jerry Berndt said Mosley was listed in good condition, but his doctors had ordered limited visits for him.

Mosley, 43, apparently choked on some phlegm as he watched Temple mount its winning 44-yard touchdown drive with 4:37 left in the fourth quarter. The game was delayed for about 10 minutes while medical officials worked on him.

* TENNESSEE: Coach Johnny Majors reinstated defensive end Kasey Rodgers, linebacker Dewayne Dotson and tailback Keith Jeter.

The players were suspended when a University of Tennessee student filed a complaint alleging sexual assault in the Gibbs Hall athletic dormitory the night of Oct. 11. The woman later told university officials she did not want to pursue the complaint.

Rodgers, Dotson and Jeter missed the Volunteers' games with Florida and Alabama.

* GEORGIA TECH: Coach Bobby Ross defended his decision to have Scott Sisson kick a game-tying, 27-yard field goal with 61 seconds left Saturday night. The field goal pulled the 11th-ranked Yellow Jackets even with North Carolina at 13-13, the eventual final score.

"I didn't go for the tie. I felt like we still had a chance to win the football game," said Ross, himself a casualty of the day when he was inadvertently kicked by a player and limped out of the locker room.

"I was going to make them throw. I felt like that was not the thing that they did best. I thought they ran the ball better, so I was hoping we were going to pick one off."

Georgia Tech's winning streak ended at nine games. The Yellow Jackets (3-0-1) trail Virginia (4-0) in the Atlantic Coast Conference standings. The teams will play Nov. 3 in Charlottesville, Va.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.