Woman Hit In Street Gunfire

October 22, 1990|By Mark Bomsterand Joan Jacobson | Mark Bomsterand Joan Jacobson,Evening Sun Staff

A map in portions of yesterday's final edition should have labeled the site of a Sunday night shooting as Market Place. The Evening Sun regrets the error.

On her way to see the movie, "The Night of the Living Dead," Ursula Williams was hit in the knee by a stray bullet, then met the gunman minutes later in the back seat of a car that was taking her to the hospital.

The bizarre incident began at 10 o'clock last night when Williams who turned 20 today -- was walking by the Community College of Baltimore's Harbor campus with her boyfriend, Fitzgerald H. Gray.


They heard gunshots coming from outside Fuddrucker's restaurant nearby, then saw a black Nissan with tinted windows drive up Marketplace toward Lombard.

"I think the guys were shooting at the car. They had no reason to be shooting at us," she said today from her bed at Mercy Hospital, where she was listed in fair condition.

Williams and Gray began running up the median strip toward Lombard Street, she recounted.

"When I was running I felt this sting in my leg. That's when we stopped. He [Gray] said, 'You've been shot'," she recalled.

A man and woman in a car pulled alongside them, saw that Williams had been shot, and offered to drive them to the hospital.

They got into the back seat and then, "The man who shot me got in the back seat. He asked me if I was all right, where did I get shot at. Then he said, 'Did you see the guy?' " she said.

At that point, Williams did not know he was the gunman, but her boyfriend had seen who fired the shot and knew it was he.

Williams then described another man she had seen on the street as the gunman.

"My back was to him [during the shooting], but my boyfriend saw him," she said.

Then, she said, the man in the car said of the other man, " 'Oh, I know him.' And he jumped out of the car."

Two police officers on horses saw the man jump out of the car, and one of the mounted officers chased him down.

According to Baltimore police, the officer saw the man throw an object they thought was a gun into a trash container in Little Italy.

They apprehended him and recovered a .44-caliber magnum semiautomatic handgun from the trash. Police said they found one round in the chamber, one in the clip and six shell casings on the sidewalk.

Michael Anthony Truesdale, 21, of West Baltimore, was arrested and faces charges, including assault with intent to murder, using a handgun in commission with a felony and possession of a handgun without a permit.

He was being held on $50,000 bail.

Today Williams' parents, Lucille and Richard Williams, visited her in the hospital.

"Things like this are bad in the city," said Richard Williams.

"Somebody walking the street with a gun that large. His only purpose is to kill somebody or to hurt somebody real bad. Something has to be done about the situation with guns and drugs. If a lot of people had been down there, there could have been five or six people killed last night, or in the hospital."

Ursula Williams also mentioned that she and her boyfriend had been robbed on Howard Street this past summer by five men with a gun and baseball bats.

After last night's incident, she said, her boyfriend told her,

"We're not going out anymore. He said we'll rent videos and get some Monopoly games, play in the house. It seems like every time we go out, something happens."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.