Player injury halts game at Randallstown

October 20, 1990|By Sam Davis

The high school football game between Randallstown and Franklin was halted seconds into the second half yesterday after a Franklin player was injured and flown by helicopter to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Kevin Anderson was listed in fair but guarded condition last night with a chest injury. Hospital spokesman Butch Jones said doctors were testing Anderson "to rule out a cardiac contusion."

Anderson, a 15-year-old sophomore running back, lapsed in and out of consciousness after being tackled 16 seconds into the third quarter at Randallstown.

Franklin assistant coach Rick Wiscott said he was about 10 feet from Anderson when the injury occurred.

"He took the play up the middle, bounced outside, and that's when he got hit. While he was on the ground, he took a vicious shot to the chest. His eyes rolled back. He kept going in and out and couldn't remember where he was. They [paramedics] worked on him quite a while, then they decided to fly the copter in," said Wiscott.

After a delay that lasted nearly an hour, Franklin head coach Claude Darr and Randallstown head coach John Buchheister agreed that the game would be called and considered a complete game. At the time, Randallstown led, 19-0.

The coaches said the players had been standing around too long to resume the game. Not only had they waited for the paramedics to work on Anderson and the Medevac helicopter to arrive, but they had just returned from a 15-minute halftime break prior to Anderson's injury.

"As far as I know and as far as I'm concerned, it's official," said Darr.

Darr said he had reviewed the videotape of the play on which Anderson was injured a couple of times, but could not tell what caused the injury.

"He had a fairly good shot to the chest region once he hit the ground, but other than that, that's all I can really determine," Darr said.

Darr said Anderson, 5 feet 11, 155 pounds, plays offense and defense for the Indians, and had no history of any medical problems.

"He's a very good athlete, who has been improving every week," Darr said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.