6 teen-agers injured in head-on wreck during police chase

October 16, 1990|By Alisa Samuels | Alisa Samuels,Evening Sun Staff

A group of teen-agers on a joy-ride in a stolen car led Baltimore County police on a chase yesterday, which ended when their car smashed head-on into a pickup truck.

Six youths between 13 and 17 years old were taken to hospitals following the crash, police said. Four were transported to the Shock-Trauma Unit in Baltimore, where one was reported in critical but stable condition, police said. One was admitted at Johns Hopkins Hospital and the other was treated at St. Joseph Hospital and released.

Because they are juveniles, the youths' names were not released, police said.

The chase began about 12:56 p.m. when an officer on routine patrol spotted the youths in a blue Hyundai on the Shawan Plaza parking lot near Hunt Valley Mall, police said.

When the officer signaled the driver to stop, the driver accelerated and headed north on York Road, police said. The officer chased.

As the Hyundai approached the intersection of York and McCormick roads, it side-swiped a white Plymouth Sundance heading south, police said. At York and Thornton Mill roads in Sparks, the Hyundai struck a Jeep Comanche pickup truck head-on.

"When they hit the pickup truck, they pushed the jeep 20 feet backward," said Officer Joseph Pietro, of the accident investigations division. "There was a lot of force there."

The Hyundai was totaled.

The 17-year-old driver of the Hyundai suffered the most severe injuries, police said.

The couple in the Comanche, Lawrence Webber, 33, and his wife Cynthia, 30, of Glenmont, were treated at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center and released, police said.

The driver of the Sundance, who attempted to get out of the way, "was kind of bruised up, but refused to go to the hospital," Pietro said.

Pietro said the car the teen-agers were in was reported stolen in Dundalk at 10:30 a.m. Monday.

He said the driver was doing at least 75 mph when the crash occurred.

There were several skid marks, which averaged 212 feet in length, Pietro said.

Charges are pending against the teen-agers, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.