Gunman shoots off-duty officer outside his home

October 15, 1990|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Evening Sun Staff

An off-duty Central District officer was wounded early today while walking toward his home in the 2000 block of N. Fulton Ave., police said.

Lt. James Rainey, of the Western District, said Officer Charles Carey, 22, was off duty about 1:10 a.m. and in civilian clothes when he was crossing Fulton Avenue. A man seated behind the wheel of a Toyota Cressida or Nissan Maxima that was parked in front of Carey's home yelled out what sounded like, "What's up?," Rainey said.

Carey told police that the driver then opened the car door and fired a handgun at him. The bullet struck Carey below the right knee and lodged in the back of his leg, Rainey said.

As the car pulled away and headed north toward Reisterstown Road, Carey told police he pulled out his off-duty service revolver and fired all six shots at the vehicle.

Rainey said the car continued on, but that Carey may have hit the driver and the car.

Rainey said Carey's brother, Marvin Carey, heard the officer's cry for help and summoned an ambulance. Officer Carey was treated at the University of Maryland Medical Center and held for observation.

In another incident, police today were seeking to identify a man shot to death by a Western District officer following an alleged robbery yesterday in downtown Baltimore.

Police said the man carried no identification.

The incident began about 9:30 a.m. yesterday when Officer Roscoe Lewis was stopped by a man at Eutaw and Fayette streets who told him that two men seated in the back of a nearby cab had just robbed him, police said.

Police said Lewis, 27, drove the man in his police cruiser a short distance and stopped behind the cab in the 100 block of N. Eutaw St.

There, Lewis ordered the two men out of the cab and asked each if they had robbed the man standing nearby.

Police said one of the men explained there had been no robbery but that money had been taken from the complainant as part of a domestic dispute. The men then returned the money to the complainant.

Lewis stood by as one of them got back in the cab to look for a set of keys he said he had left inside, police said.

Lewis later reported that when he looked inside, he saw a handgun on the floor inside the back of the cab and ordered the man to lie face down on the pavement.

Police said when Lewis was reaching into the cab to retrieve the gun, the man jumped up and also reached for the weapon. C struggle ensued during which Lewis pulled out his service revolver and shot the man once in the chest, police said.

When the gun went off, the complainant and the mortally wounded man's friend fled the scene. They were being sought today, police said.

Police said Lewis broadcast that there had been a shooting at his location and requested an ambulance. Moments later, the ambulance crew pronounced the man dead at the scene.

Homicide detectives investigating the incident ruled that the shooting appeared to be justified and that Lewis was placed on administrative leave pending a review of the shooting by the city state's attorney's office.

Police said the gun found in the back of the cab was fully loaded.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.