Furfaro pushed out of way for Blast rookies Simon, Haywood

October 11, 1990|By Sandra McKee | Sandra McKee,Evening Sun Staff

Blast second-year forward Guy Furfaro is looking to the future. So are rookies Chris Simon and Chris Haywood.

Yesterday, Blast coach Kenny Cooper cut Furfaro to make room on the roster for Simon and Haywood. By the afternoon, Furfaro was on the telephone, checking out his options.

"I'm talking to Atlanta and Detroit and there might be something in Hershey," Furfaro said of his contacts with teams in the National Professional Soccer League. "I'm not thinking negative thoughts. I believe everything happens for a reason and that something will work out for me, somewhere. I had a great time here and I've enjoyed playing with a great bunch of guys, but there are other guys everywhere you go."

Furfaro joined the Blast as a rookie last season. He played in 24 games, scored four goals and assisted on two.

His departure, coupled with that of veteran defender Freddie Thompson last week, opens space on the roster for this year's rookies. Cooper said the team offered contracts to Simon, a midfielder from James Madison, and Haywood, a forward from Old Dominion, and they have accepted.

The future of the team's third rookie, University of Maryland midfielder Dominic Feltham, is uncertain.

"I talked to Dom and told him I have an open mind," said Cooper. "I've already cut two veterans, and I'm willing to do what is necessary to field the strongest team. Dom wants to play, so he will make the road trip with us and we'll make a decision Sunday."

The Blast leaves today for Charlotte, N.C., where it will join up with the Cleveland Force to do clinics for 30 schools in the area, before meeting in an exhibition game there tomorrow night. The two teams face off again Saturday in Greensboro.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.