George E. Best, 77

October 08, 1990

George E. Best, a retired Baltimore chemist, died of cancer Thursday at Union Memorial Hospital. He was 77 and lived in the 4400 block of Wickford Road.

Memorial services for Mr. Best will be held at 2 p.m. tomorrow at the Second Presbyterian Church, 4300 St. Paul St.

Mr. Best retired in 1978 as senior vice president of the Manufacturing Chemists Association in Washington, where he had worked for 20 years.

From 1948 to 1959, he was manager of technical services for Mutual Chemical Co. of America in Baltimore, a chromium processing plant that was bought by Allied Chemical Co.

In retirement, he was active as a volunteer for the blood bank at Union Memorial Hospital and with the Baltimore Radio Reading Service.

Mr. Best served as a deacon and an elder of Second Presbyterian Church and was active in the Towson Club.

A native of South Portland, Maine, Mr. Best grew up there and earned his chemical engineering degree from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1934.

Upon graduation, he worked for the New Jersey Zinc Co. in Pennsylvania, where he received two patents for metal powder products.

Mr. Best had married the former Grace Rapp in 1940. She died in 1986.

He is survived by a son, Randolph B. Best of Baltimore.

The family suggested donations to the Second Presbyterian Church or Union Memorial Hospital.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.