Memorial services for George E. Best, a retired Baltimore chemist, will be held at 2 p.m. tomorrow at the Second Presbyterian Church, 4300 St. Paul St.
Mr. Best, of the 4400 block of Wickford Road, died of cancer Thursday at Union Memorial Hospital. He was 77.
Mr. Best retired in 1978 as senior vice president of the Manufacturing Chemists Association in Washington, where he had worked for 20 years.
From 1948 to 1959, he was manager of technical services for Mutual Chemical Co. of America in Baltimore, a chromium processing plant that was bought by Allied Chemical Co.
In retirement, he was active as a volunteer for the blood bank at Union Memorial Hospital and with the Baltimore Radio Reading Service.
Mr. Best also maintained an extensive backyard vegetable garden. He enjoyed traveling abroad and also participated in a number of Elderhostel activities.
Mr. Best served as a deacon and an elder of Second Presbyterian Church and was active in the Towson Club.
A native of South Portland, Maine, Mr. Best grew up there and earned his chemical engineering degree from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1934.
Upon graduation, he worked for the New Jersey Zinc Co. in Pennsylvania, where he received two patents for metal powder products.
From 1943 to 1948, Mr. Best worked for a number of chemical companies located in New Jersey, New York and Michigan.
Mr. Best was a member of many professional organizations. He was an emeritus member of the American Chemical Society and a former president of the National Association of Corrosion Engineers. He served as president of the Baltimore chapter of the American Electroplaters Association.
Mr. Best had married the former Grace Rapp in 1940. She died in 1986.
He is survived by a son, Randolph B. Best of Baltimore.
The family suggested donations to the Second Presbyterian Church or Union Memorial Hospital.