Services for Dr. G. Bowers Mansdorfer, a retired pediatrician who cared for four generations of Baltimore families, will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the First English Lutheran Church, Charles and 39th streets.
Dr. Mansdorfer, who lived and had an office on North Charles Street, died of heart failure Friday at his daughter's home in Timonium. He was 86.
Born in Baltimore, he graduated from Gettysburg College in 1926 and was a 1930 graduate of the University of Maryland School of Medicine. He served his internship at Mercy Hospital from 1930 to 1931.
Early in his career, Dr. Mansdorfer specialized in the study of childhood diabetes and spent time in Europe studying the disease. He had a fondness for prescribing goat's milk and his famous "Mansdorfer mixture" cough remedy.
Dr. Mansdorfer was a member of the American and Southern medical associations, the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons and the state medical society. He also served as an associate professor of pediatrics at the University of Maryland School of Medicine and was a charter member of the Gettysburg College Board of Fellows.
Dr. Mansdorfer continued to make house calls until his retirement in 1988 from the medical staff at Mercy Medical Center, where he held emeritus status. At his request, the G. Bowers Mansdorfer Pediatric Education Fund was established at Mercy to provide continuing education for the hospital's pediatric staff.
His wife, the former Louisa Warfield Hook, died in 1984.
Dr. Mansdorfer is survived by a son, John B. Mansdorfer of Delmar, Calif.; a daughter, Catherine Petrich of Timonium; and four grandchildren.
The family suggested donations to the Mercy Medical Center Development Fund.