Man charged in death of his girlfriend's child

September 26, 1990|By Alisa Samuels | Alisa Samuels,Evening Sun Staff

City police have charged a 21-year-old Baltimore man with first-degree murder in the slaying of his girlfriend's child.

Charles G. Watson, 21, was charged yesterday after police and paramedics found the body of 19-month-old Brandon Lee Hall, Agent Arlene Jenkins said.

Watson was being held at the Central District lockup without bail. He was scheduled to see a court commissioner sometime today.

Jenkins said Watson reported that he found the child unconscious at 6:30 a.m. yesterday at his home in the 2400 block of Lakeview Ave.

Watson told police he called his girlfriend at work, and she arrived and telephoned paramedics and police.

The child was pronounced dead on arrival at the University of Maryland Medical Center.

"The medical examiner ruled the cause of death was blunt trauma to the head and upper torso," Jenkins said.

Jenkins said the identity of the baby's 22-year-old mother was being withheld.

This is the second case in a week in which a man has been charged with killing his girlfriend's child.

Last Monday, police arrested and charged Gregory Gaskins, 18, of the 4700 block of Homer Ave. in the Pimlico area with first-degree murder in the beating death of tiny Shaquana Tyashe Sample only a few days before her second birthday.

Shaquana died of "multiple force injuries to the body," said Dr. Frank Peretti, an assistant medical examiner.

The girl's mother, Stacey Sample, 17, had taken Shaquana to the Homer Ave. apartment where the mother's boyfriend and his family lived, police said. Stacey Sample returned to her home in the 2900 block of Walbrook Ave.

At about 8:15 p.m., Gaskins' mother was unable to awaken the child and an ambulance was called about 8:35 p.m.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.