Cab driver killed in Cherry Hill Third slain this year

Diamond employee was 66 years old

September 25, 1990|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Evening Sun Staff

A 66-year-old Diamond Cab driver was found fatally shot last night in his cab in Cherry Hill, where he had gone to pick up a fare, city police said.

It was the third slaying of a cabbie this year and the second involving a driver for Diamond.

Police, responding to a report of shots being fired about 9:30 p.m., found the body of James Armstead Lewis behind the wheel of his cab on Swale Road, a one-block street off Southland Road.

Lewis, of the 2800 block of Clifton Ave., was pronounced dead at the scene from multiple gunshot wounds, said homicide Detective Michael Crutchfield.

Crutchfield said it was not immediately known if Lewis had been robbed. The cab was taken to police headquarters for processing for fingerprints and any other evidence.

He said police found the cab with its engine off, its lights on and its gear shift in drive. It had stopped next to several parked cars.

Crutchfield said residents heard gunshots and reported seeing two men, one wearing a red leather jacket and the other a brown leather jacket, running from the scene.

Lewis, who was married and had driven a cab for several years, reportedly started his shift about 8 p.m. About 9 p.m., he got a call to pick up a fare in the 400 block of Swale Road. A half-hour later, he was dead.

Crutchfield said there was no evidence to indicate whether Lewis was killed by the fare or was gunned down as he neared his destination.

Another slaying of a cabbie occurred Aug. 29, when Lewis Cauthorne, a Royal cab driver, was shot in the 500 block of Brisbane Road in southwest Baltimore.

Police said Cauthorne, 38, of the 1000 block of Cameron Road, was found behind the wheel of his cab shortly before 11 p.m.

Cauthorne had dropped off some money at home about an hour before he was shot. When found by police, he had $14 in cash. Police still don't know if Cauthorne was robbed.

About 2 a.m. Aug. 9, Diamond cab driver Tyrone Herndon, 42, was gunned down in the 2800 block of E. Madison St. by two men he had picked up earlier. Herndon, of the 2100 block of Maryland Ave., died a short time later at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Police said Herndon had money in his pockets and was wearing his wristwatch when he was found. It remains unknown if he was shot during a robbery or for some other reason, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.