Walbrook asbestos removal continues

September 25, 1990|By Mark Bomster | Mark Bomster,Evening Sun

The $15.9 million asbestos-removal and reconstruction project at Walbrook High School is continuing, with a contractor now replacing heating, ventilation, water and other mechanical systems.

The school is due to reopen on schedule Sept. 1, 1991, when Walbrook students who have been temporarily sharing Southwestern High School are to move back into their own building.

The building, designed for 2,500 students, was the subject of a major asbestos-removal project that got under way in March 1989. It is now asbestos-free, according to William A. Gieseking, city asbestos coordinator.

The asbestos contractor, Marcor of Maryland Inc., a Hunt Valley firm, completed the $5 million asbestos-removal job in late February after about 10 months of work, said Gieseking.

The hazardous asbestos had been used as a sprayed-on fireproofing substance. Workers removed an estimated 485,000 square feet of the material for shipment to a landfill that accepts hazardous substances, said Gieseking.

The contractor's work included replacing the duct work in the building.

Gieseking said the Baltimore firm of Tignal & Co. Inc. now is replacing the school's mechanical systems under a $2.1 million contract and that work should be completed in about two months.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.