Police Deny Crofton Man Was Threatened

September 25, 1990|By Peter Hermann | Peter Hermann,Staff writer

County police denied reports yesterday that two detectives threatened to kill a Crofton man for not giving them information on the whereabouts of his brother, who is wanted for abducting and assaulting a police officer last month.

Lt. William Tankersly, of the criminal investigations division, said there was no foundation for the allegations. He said the man had not filed a formal complaint with Internal Affairs.

Michael C. Rogers, 21, told The Washington Post that he was confronted by two men he recognized as county detectives in the parking lot of a High's store on Connecticut Avenue in Kensington, Montgomery County.

Rogers said he was thrown against a wall, forced into a dark blue car and had a gun put to his head. He said the detectives threatened to kill him if he didn't tell them where his brother was.

His brother, Harold D. Rogers, is being sought by police for escaping custody on Aug. 25 while being driven to the County Detention Center on charges of felony theft.

Police said Harold Rogers was handcuffed with his hands in front and was allowed to sit in the front seat of the police car. They said he hit Officer Janice Schwartz, stole her gun and forced her to drive to Crofton, where he set the officer free.

Tankersly said Michael Rogers, his mother, Constance Rogers, and her boyfriend, Archie Hawk, appeared before a grand jury in Annapolis yesterday afternoon. He said prosecutors are trying to force them to reveal Harold Rogers' whereabouts.

Tankersly acknowledged that detectives talked to Michael Rogers in a store in Montgomery County and in a police car. Tankersly said he questioned the detectives involved and is satisfied no threats or assaults took place.

Tankersly said Michael Rogers "was not reluctant to talk" to the detectives. Tankersly would not elaborate about the conversation, but said Rogers did not offer any clues as to where his brother might be.

Michael Rogers told the Post that the detectives who abducted him drove him to the parking lot of the Kensington library, but left after seeing cars there. Then they took him to a school parking lot and to other places, saying they were looking for a secluded spot.

The Post reported that Rogers said he was returned to the store an hour later, where he saw two Montgomery County police cars. He said he was told he would be shot if he reported the incident, the newspaper reported.

Michael Rogers could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.