JOHANNESBURG, South Africa -- After weeks of blaming each other for the outbreak of fighting between their followers, black nationalist leader Nelson Mandela and Zulu Chief Mangosuthu Buthelezi plan to meet next month to discuss the violence plaguing black townships.
But the Oct. 5 meeting will not be the one-on-one affair that MrButhelezi has sought with Mr. Mandela ever since the African National Congress deputy president was released from prison in February. Instead, the ANC has invited Mr. Buthelezi to a meeting that will include leaders of all 10 of South Africa's tribal homelands.
"We're meeting a group of homeland leaders, of which he is onperson," ANC spokesman Saki Macozoma said yesterday. "We're not having a meeting with him per se. We feel there has to be a national solution. People from everywhere have been affected by this violence."
He said he expected the ANC to meet separately with Mr. Buthelezi at some future point.
Mr. Buthelezi is the top official of KwaZulu, the Zulu homeland. He is also leader of the Inkatha political movement, the ANC's major black rival. Hostilities between the two groups have led to four years of violence in Natal province, where KwaZulu is located. The fighting spread last month to black townships in the Johannesburg area, where almost 800 people have died since mid-August.
Mr. Buthelezi had appealed for a meeting between the two leaders, saying it would send a positive signal to their followers. But many of Mr. Mandela's supporters have been vehemently opposed to a meeting with Mr. Buthelezi, whom they blame for the outbreak of violence.
Mr. Mandela has said that Inkatha collaborated with government forces to cause the violence. Mr. Buthelezi has said the fighting resulted from the ANC's advocacy of violence against the
government and against alleged collaborators.