Man Charged With Crofton Rape

Police Say Suspect Tailed Victim's Friend

September 21, 1990|By Peter Hermann | Peter Hermann,Staff writer

A 29-year-old man with no fixed address was charged Wednesday night with raping a Crofton woman five days ago after tying her up and dragging her to the basement of her town house.

Stanley Glenwood Prout was charged with first-degree rape and burglary and was being held at the County Detention Center yesterday waiting to be arraigned.

The 39-year-old victim, who lives in the 2400 block of Vineyard Lane in Crofton Mews, drove to Anne Anne Arundel Medical Center after the attack, where she was treated and released.

County police said Prout was transported to the Eastern District police station "where he made statements to investigators linking him to the crime."

Police said that on Saturday night, Prout was drinking at a Severna Park bar until it closed. He followed a female bartender -- the victim's roommate -- to her Crofton town house. Shortly after the bartender went inside, Prout knocked on the door.

The bartender answered and spoke with Prout, then sent him away, saying she did not want to talk with him anymore, police said.

Police say Prout waited for about an hour, then broke into the home through the rear door. He entered the victim's room, bound her, dragged her to the basement and raped her, police said.

Police said Prout was identified by several witnesses through a photo line-up.

They also said Prout followed the bartender home in a car he stole from an acquaintance after burglarizing his home Saturday, the day before the rape.

He returned the car after the rape, police said.

A warrant for Prout's arrest was issued Friday. He was arrested at a home in the 400 block of Arundel Beach Road in Severna Park at 6 p.m. Wednesday.

Police say the rape is not related to another attack on a woman living in Crofton Mews, which also occurred early Sunday morning. At 4:10 a.m., a woman was raped by a man who also stole an undetermined amount of money from her home.

The woman also was bruised during the attack and was treated and released from Anne Arundel Medical Center.

The police said a man entered the town house through a basement window and threatened the woman with a knife. After getting the money from the victim, he raped her and left the home. In another unrelated attack in Pasadena early yesterday morning, a woman was raped by a man who offered her a ride in his pickup truck.

Police said the woman was walking on Mountain Road near the Wheel Inn at 2:30 a.m. when she got into the truck. He drove her to an area near Edwin Raynor Boulevard in Pasadena where he hit her in the face and raped her, police said.

After the attack, the man drove her to Crain Highway and Quarterfield Road and let her out of the truck. The woman was treated at North Arundel Hospital. Her condition is unknown.

Police are looking for a white male, about 5 feet, 4 inches, with a heavy build and collar-length dirty blond hair. He was driving a white pickup truck.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.