Slaying Suspect Treated, Released After Swallowing Two Razor Blades

September 20, 1990|By Peter Hermann | Peter Hermann,Staff writer

Steven Gregory Anderson, charged with strangling a Crofton woman Sunday and dumping her body behind a library, swallowed two razor blades Tuesday night in what officials believe to be a suicide attempt.

The superintendent of the county detention center said authorities are investigating how Anderson got the razor blades, which were removed from a plastic shaver. "I assume an inmate gave it to him," Richard Baker said. "I don't think we gave him anything."

Anderson was treated and released from Anne Arundel Medical Center. Baker said doctors expect the blades to be expelled naturally. Anderson was not otherwise injured, he said.

It is the second time Anderson has injured himself while in custody, court records show. In 1985, while being held in connection with a string of breaking and enterings, he broke a needle off in his arm.

Anderson was charged Sunday night with first-degree murder in connection with the strangulation of Gwyn Dixon Criswell, 42, of the 1500 block Eversham Place. Criswell's body was found near Crofton Square Monday night following an unsuccessful six-hour search by police of a nearby park.

Criswell disappeared Sunday morning after she left home on what was supposed to be a short trip to the grocery store. Police linked Anderson to Criswell's car and detained him until her body was found.

Charging documents say Anderson first said he knew nothing about Criswell, and then confessed to killing her. Police say the motive for the killing was robbery.

Anderson has been charged with robbing Criswell on Sunday morning and a woman on Riva Road that night. He also has been charged with theft in connection with the stealing of Criswell's car.

Two days before the slaying, Anderson was charged with theft and destruction of property from Cumberland Court in Annapolis. He was released on personal recognizance by a District Court Commissioner on Friday.

Anderson was released from Eastern Correctional Institution on June 25 after serving a five-year sentence for a string of breaking and entering incidents in Edgewater in 1985. He was sentenced to six and one-half years in prison, but got out 17 months early because he had earned good-behavior and work credits.

While being held in lieu of $50,000 bond in 1985, Anderson escaped twice and tried to commit suicide at the County Jail, an injury that required surgery.

Anderson told doctors that he was not trying to kill himself. "I was shooting speed when the needle broke," he said in court documents. "I did not want to kill myself."

While Anderson was being treated at Crownsville State Hospital he jumped from a second-story window, court documents say. He was caught the next day and brought to Anne Arundel Medical Center after complaining of injuries sustained in the fall.

He escaped again, court records show, and wasn't caught for nine days.

In August 1985, Anderson was evaluated by psychiatrists at the Clifton T. Perkins Center in Jessup. Court records say doctors determined he suffered from an "anti-social personality," had a drug and alcohol problem, but was not insane.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.