Stun-gun Trials To Go On Despite Acquittal

September 16, 1990|By Alan J. Craver | Alan J. Craver,Staff writer

Despite the acquittal of one of three men charged with raping a Baltimore County woman in March, the county prosecutor will try the two remaining defendants in Harford Circuit Court.

A jury of eight women and four men found Andre S. Whims not guilty Sept.

7 of 13 charges relating to the alleged attack, which police said occurred in the back of a white Lincoln limousine that traveled and was parked in Harford.

Whims and two of his friends were accused of zapping a 25-year-old woman with an electric "stun gun" and forcing her to have sex with them on March 29.

Assistant State's Attorney Mark A. Nelson said he will pursue convictions of the two remaining defendants -- Michael A. Bruno, 32, of Glenarm, Baltimore County, and Robert W. Ambrose, 23, of Joppatowne. Trials for Bruno and Ambrose have not been scheduled.

Whims, 27, of Phoenix, Baltimore County, was charged by state police at Benson with two counts of first-degree rape, two counts of first-degree sex offense and one count each of second-degree rape, second-degree sex offense, assault with intent to rape, assault and battery, assault, sodomy, kidnapping and false imprisonment.

A charge of carrying a weapon with intent to injure was dismissed by Circuit Judge Cypert O. Whitfill and a charge of unnatural and perverted sexual acts was dropped.

Ambrose and Bruno face the same charges as Whims. But Bruno faces two additional counts of solicitation to commit murder for allegedly trying to have the woman killed.

Whims said during the trial that the woman offered to have sex with him and his friends in exchange for cocaine. He said the men gave the woman about $150, but she never got the drugs.

"There was no need to force (the woman) to do anything," Whims said during his testimony. "She didn't do anything that whole night that she didn't want to do."

During the trial, the woman testified that she agreed to go for a ride with the men in their limousine after she met them at a Baltimore show bar, where she performed that night.

The group drove to Essex because some of the men wanted cocaine, she said.

After leaving Essex, the men parked the limousine and attacked her, she said. When she started fighting them, they zapped her on the legs with a stun gun, she said.

Also during the trial, Steven Pierson of Fallston testified as a defense witness that he was with Whims, Bruno and Ambrose and also had sex with the woman.

Pierson, who has not been charged, was not mentioned in the woman's testimony.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.