Assailants sought in 3 attacks One victim is dead of shots to the head

September 12, 1990|By Alisa Samuels | Alisa Samuels,Evening Sun Staff

Police investigating three violent incidents are searching for four assailants who remain at large.

A victim in one of the incidents, a 50-year-old man, died the day after he was shot several times in the head.

The three apparently unrelated attacks occurred in a span of about 3 1/2 hours late Monday and early yesterday.

About 9 p.m. Monday, Francois Browne, of the 2100 block of McCulloh St., was approached from behind by two young men as he walked in the 1200 block of W. North Ave., said Dennis Hill, a police spokesman.

Witnesses told police the young men searched Browne's back pockets for money. Then one of them pulled out a handgun and shot Browne several times, witnesses said. Both assailants then fled.

Browne died of his wounds at 12:15 p.m. yesterday at the Shock-Trauma Unit in Baltimore, a hospital spokesman said.

Police found four .25-caliber handgun casings on the ground near Browne, Hill said.

Both assailants were described by police as between 16 and 20 years old with slim builds. One is light-skinned and the other is dark, police said.

About 10:20 p.m. Monday, Christopher McIntosh, 30, was shot in the stomach as he and a friend walked in an alley off the 2700 block of Tivoly Ave., where McIntosh lives, police said.

"A witness said he and the victim were walking down an alley . . . when a suspect passed them and fired shots at Browne and ran," Hill said.

The unidentified witness said he knew of no reason why someone would want to shoot him or Browne, Hill said.

Police are looking for a suspect described only as a black man in his 30s in connection with the shooting of McIntosh.

McIntosh was being treated at Johns Hopkins Hospital and officials there would not disclose his condition.

About 12:28 a.m. yesterday, Angela Renee Day, 29, and Earl Taylor, 69, both of the 1200 block of Clendenin St., were beaten about the head by a man in his 30s who wore blue work clothes, police said.

Day was listed in fair and stable condition at Shock-Trauma, a hospital spokesman said.

Taylor, who escaped serious injury, told police he and Day were inside their home when the assailant unlocked the door, forced his way in and demanded money from Day.

The man started beating her and, police said, when Taylor tried to assist her, he too was beaten. Taylor managed to flee and call police from a neighbor's house.

According to Taylor, Day knows the assailant, Hill said.

"There were signs of struggle in the living room and the dining room," Hill said. "There was blood on those floors."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.