Mount Pleasant is the new Baltimore Golf Association team champion.
The winning team, paced by assistant professional Bud Palmer, rolled up 520 points to stand off four Publinks rivals at Forest Park yesterday. Each of the five competing teams entered 20-player squads.
Mount Pleasant closed just five points ahead of host Forest Park (515). Other totals were 491 for Clifton Park, 480 for Carroll Park and 408 for Longview.
In addition to Palmer, other competing assistant pros were Tim Sanders (Forest Park), Joe Litto (Clifton Park), Joe Flowers (Carroll Park) and Bart Colgan (Longview). Pine Ridge did not enter a team.
Elsewhere in area golf:
* Chartwell -- Morton Creech led the qualifying medal for the senior club championship, carding a 36-hole total of 154. He faces Al Gast in the first round of match play. In other matches John Irvine meets Jim Adams, Mike Fedor tests Jim Wilson and Dave Nocar Sr. faces Jim Flahive.
* Worthington -- Bill Welch won the club championship for the fifth time with a 239 score for 54 holes. His three rounds were 83, 76 and 80. Chris Conklin was second with 78-79-87 - 244. Low net leaders were Gene Keary 212, Jack McCreary 221 and Jack Tyrie 225.
* CC of Maryland -- A three-way tie resulted in the scramble team competition. The winning fivesomes, all with scores of 58, were: Mike Farrell, Paul Reed, Ken McNamara, Don Currens and Jack McGarvey; Jack Cobo, Jim Cosgrove, Ed Rahe, Bob Barczak and Cliff Culp; and Charles Stoffer, Ted Barczak, Bill Spicer, Tom Kane and Belden Burnes.
* Winters Run -- Charles Green and Glen Rowe each carded 74s to tie for the first-round lead in the 54-hole men's club championship.
* Baltimore CC -- Dr. Jack Strahan captured the club's senior championship, edging Dick Alden on the first playoff hole. They originally tied with 79s. Tom Hurst was next with 80.
In qualifying for the men's overall championship, Jan Miller won the medal in a playoff over Bob Kaestner. They had tied with 76s before Miller won on the first extra hole. Pat O'Malley is defending champion.
Pairings for the first round are: O'Malley-Ted McGinity, Tom Hurst-John Kozelski, Dennis Townsend-Kevin Dunbar, Bill Knott-Joe Galvin, Miller-Gene Milbourne, Tom Horst-Bill Rodgers, Kaestner-Russ Niller, Dr. Dave Bimestefer-Rick Schultz.
* Rolling Road -- Winning team with a 119 score in the Ham-Am tourney included Ernie Beck, Jerry Valenstein, Bill Tribby and Buddy Rohrbaugh.
* Elkridge-- In early play of the men's two-man team event, John Highfield and Bill Blue defeated Harry Parr and Michael Ewing; George Nilson and Richard Tilghman defeated Bob Bonnell and Jack Bremermann; and Peter Zouck and Tom Eshman defeated Stuart McLean and Bill Merrick. In the club's mixed team play, Ewing and Bobby Farr defeated Chuck McGill and Sue Sherwood.
* Piney Branch -- George Knouse won the senior championship, scoring 74-81 - 155. Chuck Monninger was next with 74-77 - 161. Net winners included Bob Moser, Bob Holland and Len Mumma. Connie Henderson's 36-hole score of 181 captured the women's senior crown. Dottie Spector was runner-up with 183. Net winners were Gene Minnis and Martha Wisner.
* Green Spring -- In first-round matches of the John Flattery Memorial tournament, Bob Vogel defeated Jack Swam 3-2 and E.T. Gieske defeated Hal Hathaway 2-1.
* Turf Valley -- The annual two-day Hialeah tourney was won by the foursome of Sam Hibbard, Ken Ellison, Bill Callas and Lou Placella, scoring a 245 total. Other leading teams were 247-Vic Turyn, Bill Binder, Dan Oberholser and Walt Baxter and 259-Cliff Balliant, Mike Heredia, Bill Hymes and Harry Commorata Jr.
* Towson Golf -- The two-day member-guest tournament was led by Chris Franki and Rick Schultz, scoring 131. Divisional winning NTC teams were: (A)-Bob Stewart and Terry Glab 134, (B)-Art Harduval and Tom Esslinger 131, (C)-Fred Peightal and Phil Bellnap 131 and (D)-Ryaz Zinnak and Paul Apostolo 135.
* Suburban -- Suburban emerged as winner of the four-way round-robin team match with Chestnut Ridge, Woodholme and Bonnie View. The winning team posted 1,161 points. It was followed by Chestnut Ridge 1,079, Woodholme 1,077 and Bonnie View 1,003.
* Wakefield -- Todd Eckenrode and Mike Fastner led the men's division and Barbara Linder and Rita Delia paced the women in team competition. Eckenrode and Fastner carded 146. They were followed by the teams of Joe Imhoff and Steve Lehman 153, Bob Hoy and Gerry Eckenrode 153, Mike Myers and Russ Faulkner 153. Net division leaders included Bob and Jeff Buchanan 134, Dave Kopp and Gerald Lichter 135, Craig Leppe and Charles Walker 137 and Bill Allan and Dave Bussey 138.
Linder and Delia had a winning 132 score in the women's event. Alice Griggs and Eurith Bowers were second with 136.
* Holes-in-One -- By Vic Glorioso on third hole at Maryland Golf and CC, by Jim Johnson on fifth hole at Winters Run, Dave Westervelt on 13th hole at Winters Run, Larry Douglas on eighth hole of Hunt Valley's Blue Course, R.L. Stevens on fourth hole of Hunt Valley's Red Course and Harriett May on fifth hole at Woodholme.